Ambassador of Books ~ Book Club Madam ~ Blogger Gal

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

2 audiobook reviews: The Call of the Wild, and A Brief History of Time

The Call of the Wild, with eBook (Tantor Unabridged Classics)The Call of the Wild, by Jack London - narrated by Patrick Lawlor (3.32 hours) - I loved this book as a child and really wanted to revisit it ... which ended up not being the best idea.  It is still a wonderful book but it is much simpler (and shorter!) of a story than I remembered, and the theme is very, VERY obvious ... almost too obvious.  Still, I do want to continue reading/listening to London's work, especially those stories that are new to me.



A Brief History of Time: From the Big Bang to the Black HolesA Brief History of Time, by Stephen Hawking - narrated by Michael Jackson (5.75 hours) - I'm not a science person by any stretch of the imagination, but I do enjoy learning about science in layman's terms.  The start of this book was great - I could follow along and felt like I was learning a great deal.  Then it got more and more complicated and by the end I had no idea what the heck the author was talking about.  Ah well, that's how it goes. Of course it was only after I finished that I discovered A Briefer History of Time - it seems that I wasn't the only one to be confused by the first book!

6 comments:

Marie Cloutier said...

I've never read Hawking and I don't think I will, but I appreciate your thoughts. I have enough trouble paying attention to audiobooks- I'm sure I would lose the thread on this one!

Alyce said...

I still haven't attempted Hawking's book (the one you read) but I do own a copy of it. I have to admit that it intimidates me and I haven't even cracked it open yet.

Sheila (Bookjourney) said...

I have been looking for good audio choices for this year so had to check your post out. Sounds like these too were not favs.... do you have any you would recommend?

Jill said...

I listened to the audio version of Brief History years ago, and I had the same exact experience. At first I was feeling quite clever and got a bit excited about it all, but toward the end there, I was so lost! Still, it was a good one to try, and I did learn a lot.

The Girl from the Ghetto said...

I read A Brief History in Time a few years ago after watching the movie Donnie Darko. I could not figure how to time travel, lol, and I agree with you on how difficult the last chapters of the book are.

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

Marie – Yeah, that one might not be a good fit for you … LOL

Alyce – The first few chapters were great, but I just couldn’t follow the rest of it.

Sheila – I just listened to TWELVE ANGRY MEN and it was really good – you should try that one!

Darla D and The Girl from the Ghetto – I’m so glad I’m not the only one who had that experience!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin