Ambassador of Books ~ Book Club Madam ~ Blogger Gal

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Kids Picks: Kiddo's Library Books

The 3rd Tuesday of the month is Kids' Picks at 5 Minutes For Books. Just for fun I thought I'd share with you the list of books Kiddo currently has out from the library. For those new to my blog, Kiddo is in 2nd grade, will be 8 in a few days, and is a very reluctant reader.


~ Kiddo's Library Books ~

See if you can figure out what prompted the choice of these first four books ...
  • Mythology: the gods, heroes, and monsters of ancient Greece, by Hestia Evans
  • Mythological creatures: a classical bestiary : tales of strange beings, fabulous creatures, fearsome beasts, & hideous monsters from ancient Greek mythology, by Lynn Curlee
  • Oh my gods!: a look-it-up guide to the gods of mythology, by Megan E. Bryant
  • Pegasus, the flying horse, Jane Yolen













If you guessed that our current read-together book is one of the Percy Jackson series, you'd be correct. We are working on book 3, THE TITAN'S CURSE. We took a break from it in December to read A CHRISTMAS CAROL but now we're getting back into Percy's adventure. As far as the books listed above go, Kiddo browses them more than he reads them. But I'll take what I can get.

Kiddo also checked out his favorite "backpack book kit", Stellaluna, by Janell Cannon. The backpack includes the book, a plush Stellaluna, an audio recording of the book, and a Stellaluna puzzle. I've lost count of how many times we've checked this kit out over the years. This time I told Kiddo he had to read me the story himself. He read half of it to me so far; hopefully he'll read the other half this weekend.

In addition, Kiddo checked out one book from his school's library. That book is Wayne Gretzky: Hockey Star, by Heather Feldman. He chose this one from the school library because (as you know) he is a huge hockey fan. This book is below his reading level BUT he really WANTS to read it (*gasp*) and that is a huge thing for him. He actually volunteered to read it to me not once but twice, and he's read it to Hubby at least once too. I'll take that!


I don't have a "library rules" for Kiddo - I let him check out pretty much whatever he wants. You never know what he's going to find (or ask me to search the computer for) when we visit the library!

9 comments:

Unknown said...

My son hasn't read any of the Percy Jackson books. He doesn't always like fantasy as much, but it would be neat to explore the mythology. As for sports books, my son likes those whether they are his reading level or not. I guess that is typical for boys! Enjoy your reading!

bermudaonion said...

My nephew loved Stella Luna too.

Jaymie said...

I have the Percy Jackson books on my "list" for some day. Good to know that they are interesting for 7 year olds. I have one myself. Love the stories of books that get your son excited to read!

Carrie said...

Well, I didn't guess the connection! =D Sounds like your son is enjoying his reading. Thanks for sharing about these books!

Dreamybee said...

Yay! I'm so glad Kiddo found a book that he is enthusiastic about reading!

Brooke from The Bluestocking Guide said...

Percy Jackson? The Mysterious Benedict Society

morninglight mama said...

My son blew through the Percy Jackson books and also checked out a bunch of books on mythology from the library, too! My husband read the first PJ book, but I haven't read any of them. My son swears that they are AWESOME. :)

Amy @ Hope Is the Word said...

Looks like a very eclectic mixture of library books, just like I like it! :-)

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

Lauren - Kiddo LOVES fantasy (just like his mama!) so these books are perfect for him. And in his case, it is only hockey and no other sports at all that interest him. Go figure!

bermudaonion - It's such an adorable book. :)

Jaymie - They are PERFECT for 7 yr olds - just enough "boy" humor to keep their attention and more than enough adventure to go around.

Carrie - Thanks for coming by!

Dreamybee - Me too. ;)

Brooke - Yup, you got it!

morninglightmama - I enjoy them b/c Kiddo enjoys them so much; they are definitely "kid" books though, so I wouldn't choose to read them on my own (but many other bloggers disagree with me here).

Amy - Eclectic is the perfect word for it.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin