At the start of 2009 I set some goals for myself regarding this blog. Let's take a look at those and see how I did (and remember, for the most part I'm tracking things from one birthday to the next).
- I hope to read/listen to 100 books this year. Between audio (33 books) and print (70 books) I DID meet my goal. There were also 12 books that I abandoned.
- I don't plan to sign up for too many challenges in 2009. My reasoning was that I wanted to be sure I was reading what I WANTED to be reading. In the end I signed up for 11 challenges and completed all but one of them.
- I will not accept as many books for review as I have this past year. I was more comfortable with the number of review books I accepted this year but I'd still like to reduce that number a bit more.
- I will have more guest posts on my blog. This didn't work out the way I hoped; the few friends who volunteered to do this all bailed out on me for various reasons. Ah well.
- I will endeavor to do at least one Mom & Son Book Club post each month. HA! That SO didn't happen. In fact, Kiddo and I only did 3 Mom & Son posts in 12 months; that is just sad.
2010/Age 32 Goals
My goals for this year are a bit different. Hopefully I'll be able to accomplish them.
- Read more of the books that I actually own. I've had so many come in from Paperbackswap.com over the past year that I've been a bit overwhelmed. To help with this I've signed up for the TBR 2010 Challenge and listed only books that I already have on my shelf. I'm also declining the vast majority of review requests for that reason.
- Continue to vary my reading. I don't like to stick to any specific genre for too long, nor to any specific time period. I've done well with that so far and I'd like to continue choosing books from different time periods and genres.
- Don't worry about the number of books read in each month or in the year as a whole. This past year I found myself stressing when I didn't meet my "expected" number of books for a given month and I don't want to do that this year.
- Sign up for challenges only if I plan to complete them and only if they include books that I really do want to read THIS YEAR. So far I've signed up for seven challenges for 2010 and I have two that continue from 2009 and I'm not feeling overwhelmed.
- Host more read-a-longs. I had such fun with the two that I did this past year and I want to do more. I'm thinking of one for THE COLOR PURPLE, possibly another "monster" themed one in October, and I've already got one in the works for March/April (details coming soon).
- Spread out the responsibilities in my book club. I love my book club but I'm feeling extremely overwhelmed by it over the last few months. I really need to step back from my responsibilities in that area in order to make it actually enjoyable for me again. Hopefully the other members will be open to helping out more.
- Read more with Kiddo and have him read more to me. I need to make it a point to spend time doing this each week. It won't happen every day, but twice a week is a good goal for us.
Here's to meeting goals in 2010!