*** About the Book ***
Siblings Paul and Maureen live on Chincoteague Island with their grandparents. This year Paul is finally old enough to join the men on their annual round-up of the wild ponies on neighboring Assateague Island. Paul get amazingly lucky and captures the mysterious Phantom, a mare who has evaded the round-up for several years in a row, and her new foal, Misty. Paul and Maureen have saved money for months to be able to purchase a pony on Pony Penning Day and now they want to buy both Phantom and Misty. Will they be able to come up with the money in time? If they do, can they ever hope to tame Phantom? And what about little Misty?
*** Why We Listened To It ***
This is a classic of childrens literature and holds a special place in my reading memory. Chincoteague is just a few hours from where I've lived all my life, and I visited there for the Pony Penning Day Carnival once as a child.
With a 7 hour drive coming up, I raided the library for audiobooks that Kiddo might enjoy. I checked out about 10 books and let him pick from that stack. Surprisingly he chose MISTY as one of his top picks. He's not a big fan of horses but I think the fact that this takes place near where we live is what interested him. I honestly expected him to avoid this one like the plague, so I was thrilled when he seemed excited to listen to it.
*** Our Thoughts ***
I loved revisiting this book, but it was shorter and simpler than I remembered. Unfortunately the cassettes were really in bad shape so the last part of the book was hard to hear, but that was my only complaint. Kiddo listened to this in utter silence for several hours so I know he enjoyed it. Here's his review, in his own words ...
1. Did you like this book? Yes, it was fun.
2. What was your favorite part? I didn't have a favorite part - I liked the whole thing.
3. What was your least favorite part? None, I didn't have a least favorite part.
4. Since this was an audiobook the only illustration was on the cover. What did you think of the cover? I thought it was cool. I liked the cover because it had Misty and Phantom on it. [Mom's note: The audiobook cover was different than the one pictured above, but I couldn't find an image that matched what we had.]
5. Would you recommend this book to your friends? No because kids that I know don't like horses or ponies. Do you like horses? Just the male horses. Like the Pied Piper? Yes. Why? Because they run the her. Is there anything else you'd like to say about this book? I liked listening to it in the car.
*** Your Thoughts ***
Did you read this book as a child (or an adult)? Which of your childhood favorites have you shared with your own children? What were there reactions to your old favorites?
This review is part of Kids' Picks, hosted by 5 Minutes for Books. Check out what other kids are reading today!