Ambassador of Books ~ Book Club Madam ~ Blogger Gal

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

City of Ember - some quick thoughts

by Jeanne DuPrau
audiobook: 7.2 hours
narrated by Wendy Dillon

The City of Ember, Unabridged CDs in BoxI just realized that Kiddo and I listened to this book in September and I didn't write anything about it at all. Our family took a day trip to Gettysburg and we listened on the ride there and on the ride home.

If you want a summary of the book, check out our review of the movie - they are very similar.

Here are a few quick thoughts on this book ...
  • We already watched and really enjoyed the movie so we were excited about the book.
  • The book and movie are extremely similar but - of course - the movie changed a few things to make it more exciting.  I don't know that they were necessary but they didn't really hurt either.  Except for the giant mole thing - that was not in the book and really was rather unnecessary.
  • The story is pretty simple and though I enjoyed it I did so more because Kiddo was really into it, and because I'd enjoyed the movie.  This is not a series I'd read/listen to on my own, but I'm having fun enjoying it with Kiddo.
Also - and this is REALLY bothering me - I cannot find the length of this audiobook listed anywhere.  Usually that info is on our library's page, or on the publisher's page, but it isn't there this time.  I know there were 6 CDs and they were probably about an hour a piece, but I like to record EXACTLY how long an audiobook is when I write my review; this is the first time I've been unable to come up with that info! UPDATE: Thanks to Amy @ A Librarians Life In Books for finding the length of this audiobook for me - AMY ROCKS!

8 comments:

Amanda said...

I read this one in 2008 and really enjoyed it (though not so much the rest of the series). I agree, the movie was good with the exception of the giant creatures.

Amy L. Campbell said...

Unemployed librarian to the rescue!

Worldcat says the discs are 72 minutes. So that gives you 7 hours 12 minutes.

http://www.worldcat.org/title/city-of-ember/oclc/54933074&referer=brief_results

April (BooksandWine) said...

I have this in paperback form!

I would try amazon or audible to find the information.

I am glad you enjoy this, and definitely sharing a book with someone you love often enhances the experience.

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

Amanda - Kiddo and I are listening to the 2nd book now ... I wonder what we'll think of it in the end.

Amy - YOU ROCK!!! Thanks so much - I'm off to update my post now. :)

April - It's a fun book, but a bit simplistic. Still, there are some important themes in there that I really appreciate. I hope you like it!

Anonymous said...

I've not read this series yet. Maybe I'll try it on audio! Sometimes I just feel like I need a good, simple book. It sounds like this one would work well.

Alyce said...

It drives me nuts when I can't find the length of the audiobook posted anywhere. I would think that would be key information, yet sometimes it's just not anywhere (including the publisher's site).

I really liked this book, and thought the sequel was pretty good too. I haven't read the 3rd and 4th books.

Trisha said...

I read the book and watched the movie, enjoyed both, but I have no burning need to read book 2, People of Sparks. Will you be reading it?

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

Erin - This would definitely fit the bill!

Alyce - Glad to know that I'm not alone in thinking that the length of an audiobook is important to know. :)

Trisha - Kiddo and I actually listening to it right now - I'll have a review up in a few weeks (it will take a while to get through it b/c we only listen in short bursts).

Blog Widget by LinkWithin