Earlier today I posted my spoiler-free review of Mockingjay but I wanted a place to discuss the book in detail with others who have read it, hence this post. DO NOT READ THIS if you have not read Mockingjay because I am going to spoil the heck out of it.
Ok, here goes ...
From what I can tell, fans of The Hunger Games trilogy had VERY mixed reactions to this book. I seem to be in the minority because I really loved Mockingjay. Here are some things that I appreciated about this book:
- War is presented as being bad for all sides - yes it may be necessary in some cases but it always ALWAYS has repercussions for everyone involved - and often in war people do what would have been unthinkable in peacetime - I thought Collins did an excellent job with this theme
- The victors aren't just ok after they survive the games - they experience post-traumatic stress in varying degrees - so often in books characters simply move on and live their lives normally after trauma, but that isn't what happens in real life
- Finnick's backstory was very intriguing and brought a whole new level to the book - I really loved this character and was so sad to see him die, but I liked how it was shown "off screen" because people don't always die right in front of you in a war, and that often makes it harder to accept that they are actually dead
- What happened to Peeta was CRAZY and yet made lots of sense - I appreciated how his character changed in this book - I didn't like him much before (he was "too nice" for me) but I found him fascinating in this book and I really liked how he and Katniss ended up together - no other ending would have made sense at this point
- During book 2 I began to really like Gale but his actions in book 3 turned me off - in fact, he began to remind me of Anakin (from Star Wars) with how he was using evil methods to support good causes - once I made that association in my mind I had a hard time really liking Gale anymore (for the record, I thought Padme should NEVER have gone back to Anakin after he killed all the Younglings - that literally makes my skin crawl)
- Despite the fact that I felt like everything in this book made sense based on previous books there were still parts where I literally yelled at the radio in shock. If you'd been in the car with me you'd have heard something like, "WHAT?! You have GOT to be kidding me! No WAY!" when the plan for the new hunger games was announced. And then when Katniss voted yes?! Say WHAT?! I still don't get that - does anyone have a good explanation? Because that is the one place where I don't see the story reflecting what has happened in the past.
- Speaking of that, did they not do the new hunger games because President Coin was dead? Or was there some other reason I missed?
Let me know in the comments what you thought of this book and why. I'm looking forward to discussing it with all of you.