- Saturday was a gorgeous day in Maryland and a perfect day for the CityLit Festival. I heard some interesting panels, browsed lots of author tables, and - with part of my book club - got to hear Junot Diaz discuss his novel, THE BRIEF WONDROUS LIFE OF OSCAR WAO (my review is here). I have video clips of Diaz to post but that won't happen until later this week.
- I did recap the event briefly on my book club's blog though.
- My new laptop is completely ready and waiting to be picked up from my friend's house (he was kind enough to transfer everything from my old one to the new one). However, his wife went into labor and delivered their baby on the very day I was supposed to pick up the computer. Dang it! Needless to say, it will be a few more days before I have my laptop in hand. (Yes, I'm thrilled about the new baby ... but I MISS MY LAPTOP!)
- I'm completely bored with the audio book of THE SECRET OF LOST THINGS. I would have given up halfway through but I don't know anyone IRL who could tell me what happens in the end and I hate asking bloggers to do that because it takes so long to write out a summary via email. Luckily there are just 2 cassettes left.
- I'm planning a vlog post (video blog, for those unfamiliar with that term) once I get my laptop. I'm so excited that it has a webcam! I've never used one though - I usually use my digital camera to post videos - so I'm a bit nervous ... is it hard to learn?
- By tonight I should be finished reading RECEIVE ME FALLING, the first novel by local author Erika Robuck. I saw Erika at CityLit this weekend too. I'm enjoying the story but it does have some flaws. Still, it is very interesting and I don't want to put it down. Look for a review later this week.
- The dinner theater production of "My Way: A Tribute to Frank Sinatra" (the one I told you about on Friday) was great! Hubby and I sang along to almost all the songs. The only drawback was the people talking around us throughout the show. Ugh.
- Next month my book club is reading QUEEN OF THE ROAD, and author Doreen Orion is calling in to discuss it with us. Unfortunately I can't make it to that meeting because it is Kiddo's AWANA Awards Night ... which is obviously more important.
- I started Weight Watchers at the beginning of this month. Although it may not seem like a big deal to some, I'm about 20 pounds over the "suggested" weight for my height and I keep gaining. I got sick of having to buy new, larger clothes every season and finally decided to do something about it. So far, so good - I lost 5 pounds my first week and haven't had much difficulty sticking to the food plan. Yea!
- Kiddo's reading is improving!!! I am excited beyond words about this.
Monday, April 20, 2009
A Monday Update
I have lots of things to share today but lack the time to put together a coherent post. Hence, I'm resorting to the tried-and-true "bulleted list" method and hoping it will do ...