Ambassador of Books ~ Book Club Madam ~ Blogger Gal

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Your thoughts on AWAY?


Hi all. I need some input please. I'm on the first CD of the audio version of Amy Bloom's novel AWAY and I want to know if it is worth continuing. Have any of you read/listened to it?

I was intrigued by the reviews I read a few months back but I'm really not getting into the story at this point. One thing that is bothering me is the omniscient narrator. I feel like I'm hopping from one character's head to another (which I am) and getting a bit dizzy in the process. Plus I'm not feeling connected to the main character, Lillian.

So please tell me - does the story get better from here? Is it worth continuing? Am I wasting my time? I'd love to hear what you all think ...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heather - I have not read Away, but I am currently reading a short story collection by the same author called "Come to Me" and it's pretty good so far. But in general, my advice is that if you aren't "into" a book after the first 50-100 pages (depending upon the length of the book), give it up. Life is too short to read books that you aren't enjoying!

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

Heather - I know, I probably should just quit. But I'm always afraid that I'm giving up too soon, and then I get stuck wanting to know what happens in the end ...

But you're right, I think I'll quit now. Thanks for your input.

Amanda said...

Hello! Well, I read it last year and here's my review:

http://lifeandtimesofanewnewyorker.blogspot.com/2008/11/away-amy-bloom.html

I honeslty can't remember the ending so I can't tell you whether or not to stick through it...but I still didn't really like the book. I'm not even keeping it on my shelf. I think it was a book that I didn't like at all but the ending was ok. Don't feel bad if you quit reading.

Anna van Gelderen said...

I read the book last year and found it extremely disappointing. Lilian behaves like a zombie who is on autopilot. Apparently she lets everything happen to her, dispenses sexual services if necessary, colludes in murder, as long as she is on her way to getting her daughter back. However, we never get to know how she really feels - or if she feels at all. I have hardly ever read a book in which the heroine left me so completely stone cold.

Nan said...

Boy, reading Anna's comment sure convinces me to stay 'away' from this book!

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

Thank you all ... I think I can return this to the library with absolutely no regrets!

Gwendolyn B. said...

I just couldn't get into this book. I was really disappointed because other people were enjoying it so much. I finally set it aside and then gave it away.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin