Book 2 of Percy Jackson and the Olympians
by Rick Riordan
About the book:
This is the 2nd book following the adventures of Percy Jackson, a modern-day boy who finds out he is the son of the sea god Poseidon. In this particular book Percy faces cyclopes, sea monsters, and some not-so-friendly minor goddesses in his quest to save his home.
(Mom's questions are in bold, Kiddo's answers follow.)
- Did you like this book? Yes, because I met more of Percy's family.
- What was your favorite part? The very, very end because of what happened on the last page.
- What was your least favorite part? When Percy thought one of his friends died.
- The only illustrations were on the cover, so what did you think of the cover? I like it but I didn't know that everything on it stood for something until we talked about it just now.
- Would you recommend this book to your friends? Some of them. Some of my friends don't like Greek stuff and some do. [Mom's note: Kiddo has recommended this book to LOTS of his friends - I've heard him talking to them about it when they're playing together outside.]
- Is there anything else you'd like to say about this book? The man-eating sheep were funny but scary. I am enjoying the series and I really, really want to get to book 4, The Battle of the Labyrinth, because the cover looks really cool and it looks like Percy is looking into the coffin of the Titan guy.
I really enjoyed reading this to Kiddo over the past month. As I mentioned in my review of Book 1, The Lightning Thief, these books are a bit juvenile for my taste but they are perfect to read along with Kiddo. Percy's adventures in this book draw heavily from THE ODYSSEY; that book was rather fresh in my mind so the references jumped out at me right away. I'm not sure what Kiddo enjoyed more, me reading this book to him or me telling him the original story of Odysseus!
On the whole, this series is a lot of fun and I'm glad that Kiddo and I decided to read it together. We can't WAIT for the movie to come out!
If you want to find out what other kids around the blogosphere have been reading lately, please check out Kids' Picks at 5 Minutes for Mom.