Ambassador of Books ~ Book Club Madam ~ Blogger Gal

Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Mom & Son Book Club #12: The Sea of Monsters

Mom & Son Book Club #12:
The Sea of Monsters
Book 2 of Percy Jackson and the Olympians
by Rick Riordan
279 pages



About the book:

This is the 2nd book following the adventures of Percy Jackson, a modern-day boy who finds out he is the son of the sea god Poseidon. In this particular book Percy faces cyclopes, sea monsters, and some not-so-friendly minor goddesses in his quest to save his home.


Kiddo says:

(Mom's questions are in bold, Kiddo's answers follow.)
  1. Did you like this book? Yes, because I met more of Percy's family.
  2. What was your favorite part? The very, very end because of what happened on the last page.
  3. What was your least favorite part? When Percy thought one of his friends died.
  4. The only illustrations were on the cover, so what did you think of the cover? I like it but I didn't know that everything on it stood for something until we talked about it just now.
  5. Would you recommend this book to your friends? Some of them. Some of my friends don't like Greek stuff and some do. [Mom's note: Kiddo has recommended this book to LOTS of his friends - I've heard him talking to them about it when they're playing together outside.]
  6. Is there anything else you'd like to say about this book? The man-eating sheep were funny but scary. I am enjoying the series and I really, really want to get to book 4, The Battle of the Labyrinth, because the cover looks really cool and it looks like Percy is looking into the coffin of the Titan guy.

Mom says:

I really enjoyed reading this to Kiddo over the past month. As I mentioned in my review of Book 1, The Lightning Thief, these books are a bit juvenile for my taste but they are perfect to read along with Kiddo. Percy's adventures in this book draw heavily from THE ODYSSEY; that book was rather fresh in my mind so the references jumped out at me right away. I'm not sure what Kiddo enjoyed more, me reading this book to him or me telling him the original story of Odysseus!

On the whole, this series is a lot of fun and I'm glad that Kiddo and I decided to read it together. We can't WAIT for the movie to come out!





If you want to find out what other kids around the blogosphere have been reading lately, please check out Kids' Picks at 5 Minutes for Mom.

15 comments:

Caitie F said...

I loved the first book, but thought this was just ok. There were too many things that were identical to the Odyssey and a lot of the cleverness of the first book was missing. I do love the characters and can't wait for the next one (which seems like what your son think too).

I love that you do this - I hope to do something like it whenever I have kids!

Melissa Stoller said...

Thanks for this post! I am about do read this series for my family book club. For more information about starting a family book club, read The Parent-Child Book Club: Connecting With Your Kids Through Reading (Melissa Stoller & Marcy Winkler, HorizonLine Publishing, 2009). This book is a comprehensive resource presenting easy-to-follow, practical ideas for organizing and conducting a parent-child book club for children ages 4-9. Significantly, the book includes 20 fully-tested “Book Club Model Guides” that offer everything busy parents need to run successful meetings. Through reading and discussing books, and engaging in related enrichment activities, families will foster meaningful connections to last a lifetime. www.parentchildbookclub.com.

Ti said...

Yay!! Another fab post. Tell Kiddo I enjoyed his answers.

Amber said...

My son loves this series! We can't wait for the movie either.

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

Caitie – I agree that this book is almost a parody of THE ODYSSEY, but it worked for Kiddo. He really did enjoy the sea monster aspect of it, but we’ve already started reading book 3 and I think he’s enjoying this one even more.

Melissa – Thanks for your comment.

Ti – I’ll do that. :)

Amber – Kiddo and I will be posting a review of the movie as well once we see it, so keep an eye out for that!

Carrie said...

I like your Q&A in relation to recommending these books. Thanks for sharing and for linking up!

Brooke from The Bluestocking Guide said...

I'm looking forward to this movie.

Here in mine

bermudaonion said...

It's so nice to see that there are some great action books out there for guys Kiddo's age these days. I'm glad to see Kiddo's enjoying the series.

Ryan said...

These are some of my sons favorites books and I'm glad your's is liking them as well.

Anonymous said...

I just came across your blog and I love the idea of a mom/kid reading club--I can't wait until my kids are old enough!

Megan @ audiobooklove.com

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

Carrie - Thanks! I wish I could do more of these posts, but it seems we never have enough time to sit and read together regularly.

Bluestocking - I'm heading over to check it out.

bermudaonion - Oh yeah, there is DEFINITELY some action in these books! ~LOL~

Ryan G - Always glad to find another Percy fan. :)

audiobooklove - I will be checking out your blog for sure - I LOVE audio books! Thanks for coming by and saying hello. ;)

Unknown said...

Don't you just LOVE hearing them talking about great BOOKS with their friends??

You should check in with me when the movie gets closer. I'd love for you to guest post a Books on Screen if you see it shortly after it releases.

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

Jennifer - Absolutely! I'm sure we'll be seeing it shortly after it comes out and we'd love to review it for you. :)

morninglight mama said...

My son just started the first of the Percy Jackson books this week! I haven't read them, but he seems to be enjoying it, so that works for me. :)

Jill said...

My ten-year-old daughter adores this series and can't wait for #3, too. Every time I come home from work at the library she comes running to see if her copy has finally come in. :-) I enjoyed the first one but haven't had a chance to read further in the series.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin