Back in July the lovely and hilarious Chartroose (who is currently on a blogging break ... *sob*) dared me to watch 10 episodes of the 1970s show Battlestar Galactica. I'm not sure why she chose this particular show for me to watch. Did she think I would enjoy it? Hate it? I can't say what her intentions were but I CAN tell you that I had a BLAST with this!
Before this dare I had never seen a single episode of either the original Battlestar Galactica (BG from here out) or the new version. I had very little idea what it was all about. I did know that there were bad guys called Cylons and that most of the humans had been killed, but that was all I knew.
I watched the shows on Hulu.com, at the advice of a coworker. It was the perfect solution! I'm so glad she suggested this, otherwise I'd have had to sign up for Netflix just to complete my dare. If you haven't tried Hulu yet (and I hadn't before this dare) you should definitely check it out - there are TONS of great shows, new and old, on there!
So what did I think of my 10 episodes of classic BG? They were so much fun! I was intrigued with the premise of the show right from the beginning. Of course, the special effects are all completely outdated but that is only to be expected.
Here are some random things I thought about as I watched the show:
- Hmm, this is a lot like Star Wars ...
- No, it is a lot like the original Stargate (movie and tv show) ...
- No, wait, now it is more like Star Trek: Voyager!
- What's the deal with characters named after Greek gods? Is that somehow significant?
- Hey, is that Jane Seymour? Yes, it most certainly is!
- Why does everyone else get goofy names and Jane Seymour gets "Selena"? That seems rather unfair.
- The kids have the worst names of all. Boxy? Pupus? Ugh.
- Oh boy, these special effects are ridiculous. One more close up shot of the fighter pilots control stick as they press the fire button and I'll fall off the couch laughing. Oops, there I go! And again. And AGAIN!
- If I have to see another close up of that control stick ...
- Starbuck is supposed to be the ladies man but I like Apollo quite a bit more (he's cuter to me).
- The 1970s women's hairstyles must have really come back into fashion because these gals don't look outdated at all.
- Man, these episodes just get cheesier and cheesier as the season progresses!
I'm so glad Chartroose dared me to do this and that I took her up on the offer. I only wish that she'd come back from her blogging break and share her crazy humor with us again. I MISS YOU CHARTROOSE!
Now that I've completed MY dare, I'm curious to know how my "darees" are doing with their dares (I'm talking about you Alex, Shawna, Robin, and Susan!). These ladies have until April 2010 to finish their dares, but I'm wondering if they've even started yet ...