Ambassador of Books ~ Book Club Madam ~ Blogger Gal

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

What Kiddo's Been Reading

I am SO THRILLED with Kiddo's reading progress this summer.  During the past school year (2nd grade) he was a very reluctant and struggling reader. Over the summer I expected him to do the backsliding thing that happens to most kids when they're off school so long but exactly the opposite happened - his reading improved enormously!

I think it all started with the books I brought him from BEA just before school let out.  Kiddo is still sporadically reading the 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea graphic novel but he finished Planet Earth and actually started reading it again.  He also read all of Big Nate, even though he has refused to read Diary of a Wimpy Kid.  He always told me that the Wimpy Kid books look stupid, but after loving Big Nate I think he's willing to give them a shot (both books are by the same author).  These books captured his interest and made him WANT to read, which in turn helped his reading improve.  He is much more confident in his abilities and I think he's actually beginning to enjoy reading. *gasp* *cheer*

Big Nate: In a Class by HimselfBasher Planet Earth: What planet are you on?

Kiddo has also been reading books that have been on our shelves for a longs time, like the Magic Treehouse books. Plus he's still getting Star Wars graphic novels from the library whenever we drop in there.

Star Wars: The Clone Wars - In Service of the Republic (Star Wars: Clone Wars (Dark Horse)) Magic Tree House Boxed Set, Books 1-4: Dinosaurs Before Dark, The Knight at Dawn, Mummies in the Morning, and Pirates Past Noon

The newest book to capture his attention is Real Street Kidz: Chasing Action.  I asked for a review copy of this book after checking out the press release.  I was pretty sure Kiddo would enjoy it and his initial reaction (Mom, this looks COOL!) makes me think I was right.



Every night Kiddo takes a book with him to bed and reads at least one chapter of something.  It used to be that he would bring Lego magazines to bed and look at the pictures but now he is actually reading every night.  I couldn't be happier!

Kiddo wants to do video review of most of these books but our summer schedule has been crazy so we haven't gotten to it.  I'm hoping that when school starts on Monday (?!?!) we'll get back into a set routine and we'll be able to get the videos made. Keep your fingers crossed for me!




This post is part of Kids' Picks, hosted on the 3rd Tuesday of every month by 5 Minutes for Books.  Come see what other kids are reading and share yours kids' favorite books.

19 comments:

bermudaonion said...

Yay for kiddo! I think the key is finding the right books and that can be hard for young boys.

Carrie said...

Hurray for kids who are beginning to love to read for themselves! That's fantastic!

Kim (Sophisticated Dorkiness) said...

Looks like so much fun! I can't wait to see the video reviews you guys make.

Anonymous said...

That is awesome progress!

Brimful Curiosities said...

I'm enjoying reading about all the boy picks. One of these days not so far away my little guy will be looking for good books to read and I'm starting a list now.

Nancy @ Life With My Boys said...

Oh then I have hope for my second grader (as of tomorrow!)! He looks at the pictures in books but won't really read on his own. I'm hoping for a big improvement this coming year and that he'll really get into reading and not just when I'm reading to him.

I'll have to check out Big Nate, it sounds like something he'd like.

Nancy @ 5MinutesforBooks

morninglight mama said...

My son loves the comic strip with Nate, so I bet he'd like the book, too.

Alyce said...

Yay! That is so exciting that he is reading and enjoying it too!

Unknown said...

How wonderful that his reading interest has taken off! My son is the same age, so I appreciate you sharing these titles!

Lauren from 5MinutesforBooks.com

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

bermudaonion - It has been a challenge so far but now I think we're on a roll. ;)

Carrie - I'm so excited for him!

Kim - He loves doing video reviews so hopefully we can get to them soon.

mommablogsalot - Thanks! I'm thrilled with it.

Brimful Curiosities - That's a great idea - I wish I'd done that myself.

Nancy - Kiddo was exactly like that throughout 2nd grade - I hope your son experiences the same breakthrough that Kiddo has!

morninglightmama - I have to admit that I didn't look at the book that closely but Kiddo really enjoyed it. :)

Alyce - I really couldn't be happier about it!

Lauren - I hope you find here one that your son will enjoy as well.

Sheila (Bookjourney) said...

I love to see what kids are reading - heck, I just love to see the next generation picking up books and enjoying them! :D

Both my boys were big readers, now that they are adults one still is a big reader and I love talking books with him.

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

Sheila - Hubby was not a reader AT ALL until recently, and even now he reads only occasionally. I've been worried about Kiddo but I'm starting to feel a bit better now. :)

Dreamybee said...

Yay Kiddo! I'm so glad to hear that he's doing well and enjoying his reading. :)

Unknown said...

Yep--I wrote about the same idea. There's hope for my little guy to love books, and that THRILLS me!!

Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

Awesome! It's so wonderful when that reading motivation kicks in and the reading takes off. My oldest never had any interest in the Wimpy Kid books either and to this day has not touched one of them. Maybe my younger one will, though...we'll see. :)

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

Dreamybee - Me too! And I hope you're enjoying your summer - I'm sorry I haven't been commenting on your blog lately. :(

Jennifer - Yes there IS hope - yay!!!

Katrina - I'm surprised Kiddo liked Big Nate, given his attitude about Wimpy Kid, but hey, I'll take it! I hope your kids find things that get them excited about reading too.

Anna said...

The Girl loved Big Nate, too, and she's also a big fan of the Wimpy Kid books. Jeff Kinney wrote the Wimpy Kid books, and we learned at BEA that he and the author of Big Nate are friends.

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

Anna - ooh, thanks for the clarification - I thought they were by the same author!

Upstatemamma said...

My son LOVES Magic Treehouse books. We have them all. And I just recently bought one of the books from the series that Planet Earth book is from.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin