Ambassador of Books ~ Book Club Madam ~ Blogger Gal

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Upcoming Panel: More from "The Book Club Toolkit"

I've mentioned several times that I'm moderating some panels at the Baltimore Book Festival (BBF) this month that I'm really excited about.  It is finally time to tell you about them!  Yesterday I told you about the first panel and today I'll share about the second..

Sunday, September 26, 3-4pm: 
More from "The Book Club Toolkit"

Last year I moderated a similar panel and it was quite successful.  I'm using the same format this year, but with different panelists and a new audience (and a new location) there are bound to be new tips and ideas!



More from "The Book Club Toolkit"

Join veteran book clubbers for an hour of ideas guaranteed to help you bring out the best in your book club. Topics will include ways to liven up your club, tips on choosing books, suggestions for dealing with problem members, and more. Bring your questions – we’ve got answers!

View location details on the Festival schedule.

Moderator:

Heather Johnson, also known as The Book Club Madam, is the head of Storie delle Sorelle, a 20-member book club in the Glen Burnie area. She reviews everything she reads on her book blog where she also writes about topics of interest to readers everywhere. If Heather could make a living out of reading and running book clubs, she’d do it in a heartbeat; until then she freely shares her knowledge and experience with anyone willing to listen.

Panelists:

Melissa McCrory Hatcher - After completing my PhD in English, I needed a new place to discuss books! When I moved to Maryland, I found Storie delle Sorelle online, and they happily made me a member of their book-loving family. We are women in varying stages of life who meet monthly to share our thoughts. We average around 10 people and 1 bottle of wine per meeting.

Swapna Krishna - I'm a member of 2 book clubs, one online and one in-person. Our online group has 11 members and has been meeting for about a year and a half. We meet via Skype, with audio and video chat, while the in-person group has just 4 members and has been meeting for a year. Both have been very successful and a lot of fun for all members! You can also find me at my blog.

Julie Peterson - I am a big fan of book clubs, so much of one that I belong to three different ones that meet monthly. My regular book club is called The Preschool Moms Book Club (although that's no longer true anymore since our kids have moved on!) and we've been meeting for eight years. We usually read literary fiction, but we've been known to try other genres every once in awhile. My on-line book club, Wired & Bound, is made up of fellow book bloggers from around the United States and England. We have been meeting via Skype for around a year and a half and usually discuss literary fiction. My final book club is a mother-daughter one called The Tweeny Bookworms. We've been meeting for around two and a half years and consist of nine mother-daughter groups. Find me online at Booking Mama.

Faye Houston – Book Club Coordinator for the Pratt Library Central Branch - Our Saturday book club was originally started by 2 library staffers, me and Richard Oloizia (now also retired), 15 years ago. We meet on the last Saturday of the month, generally, and read a broad range of fiction, non-fiction, children´s books, sci-fi, and non-fiction (history and biography).

Mandy Entwistle – I am one of the original members of the The Paige Turner Book Club, a group that has met monthly since January 2008. As a group we've explored everything from classics by Shakespeare and Austen to more recent publications from Jodi Picoult and Alice Sebold.

3 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I wish I could be there, but this is the same weekend as SIBA.

Trina said...

Oh wow. This is really interesting. I need to sit and read through all of your posts on book clubs. I just started one. Our first meeting was last month and our second one is this Sunday.

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

bermudaonion - I know. :( But Barbara Mead of Reading Group Choices will be at SIBA - be sure to find her and say hi!

Trina - Good luck with your new book club! If you are interested in tips, be sure to watch the videos from the panel I moderated last year - there are a lot of great ideas on that one!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin