Ambassador of Books ~ Book Club Madam ~ Blogger Gal

Tuesday, October 6, 2009

World Citizen Challenge - Recap

I've finished the World Citizen Challenge! The deadline was Dec. 31, 2009 so I'm way ahead of the game on this one. YAY!

There were different levels of participation for this challenge. I chose "The Minor Level" which meant I had to read three books from at least two different categories (as explained on this page).

Here are the books I read, along with the categories they fit into. As usual, links take you to my reviews.
  1. The Man Who Loved China: The Fantastic Story of the Eccentric Scientist Who Unlocked the Mysteries of the Middle Kingdom, by Simon Winchester - History - the story of a fascinating man who made recording the history of China his life's work
  2. The Island at the Center of the World: The Epic Story of Dutch Manhattan and the Colony That Shaped America, by Russell Shorto - History - the story of the Dutch settlement on Manhattan and how its influence is still felt there (and across America) today
  3. Emmanuel Kolini: The Unlikely Archbishop of Rwanda, by Mary Weeks Millard - Politics - how an Anglican priest worked to restore peace to the shattered Rwandan population after the 1994 genocide
Is it just me or are those titles ridiculously long? I've noticed that non-fiction books tend to cram as much info as possible into their titles ...

I really liked the idea of this challenge but I think the hostess might have had some health issues this year and so the challenge blog wasn't kept up to date. That was a bit disappointing, but I'm still glad I participated.

7 comments:

Nicole (Linus's Blanket) said...

Congratulations and no it is not you!

Alyce said...

I signed up for this one earlier this year and it is one of the few challenges that I just haven't made any progress on. It's entirely my fault though. Maybe next year I'll do better.

Congrats on completing the challenge!

bermudaonion said...

Very impressive - way to go!

Lisa said...

Congrats on finishing this challenge!

Anonymous said...

From violetcrush: Awesome, congrats!!! I have no idea how many challenges I have completed. I need to keep track. Impressive list of books though. I think non-fic books try to reveal as much possible about the book from the title.

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

*** Thanks all! And I'm glad it is not just me who thinks those titles are crazy long. :) ***

Becca said...

Congrats, Heather!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin