Ambassador of Books ~ Book Club Madam ~ Blogger Gal

Monday, November 8, 2010

October '10 Recap

October was a great month for completing books in my house! Here's a look back at what I read and reviewed this past month ...

Books: 4 (2,145 pages)
    1. Bluff Island Rescue Service, by Stephanie Hubbard (346 pages) - fascinating memoir about overcoming one's past
    2. Garden Spells, by Sarah Addison Allen (290 pages) - light and fun comfort read
    3. The Historian, by Elizabeth Kostova (909 pages) - creepy, fascinating, and highly detailed story of the Dracula legend
    4. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, by Steig Larrson (600 pages) - interesting but I'm not sure what is making everyone so madly in love with this book

    Audiobooks: 8 (115.42 hours)
    1. The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, by Robert Louis Stevenson (2.5 hours) - surprisingly good and very short
    2. The Picture of Dorian Gray, by Oscar Wilde (8.75 hours) - surprisingly wordy but still interesting
    3. Catching Fire, by Suzanne Collins (11.6 hours) - much better than the first book in the series (The Hunger Games)
    4. Mockingjay, by Suzanne Collins (11.75 hours) - not as good as book 2 (Catching Fire) but a very fitting end to the trilogy
    5. The People of Sparks, by Jeanne DuPrau (7.9 hours) - continues the story of The People of Ember but gets a bit heavy handed, though still enjoyable
    6. Bleak House, by Charles Dickens (39.25 hours) - not as good as I remembered from high school but still a good read - I love all the complicated details!
    7. The Gathering Storm, by Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson (33 hours) - this was a re-read in preparation for the next book in the series, and I REALLY enjoyed listening to this book again
    8. Rikki-Tikki Tavi, by Rudyard Kipling (.67 hours) - what a treat to revisit this beloved story with Kiddo!

    Since my birthday just passed it's time for me to recap my reading year so I'm off to start totaling things up now.  I'll have a list of my best reads of the year for you later this week!

    11 comments:

    Natalie~Coffee and a Book Chick said...

    What an absolutely fabulous month of reading!!!!

    Marie Cloutier said...

    wow, what a great month! happy belated birthday!

    Teacher/Learner said...

    Fantastic month! Way to go :)

    Trisha said...

    Great reading during your birthday month!

    Trish said...

    Great recap! I've been particularly interested in Bleak House ever since I saw your readalong and review here this month. It's one of those daunting Victorian tomes that I reach out for at the library and then quickly put back because it's just so . . . big. But I do like the occasional complicated big story and you have made it sound so readable that I might just have to give it a try. *quiver*

    Amy said...

    Great month! Such a lot of audio, wow! haha. I'm very impressed.

    Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

    Thanks all!

    Trish - It IS a bit book but I really enjoyed it all the same. Some people have suggested reading the SparkNotes along with it, or watching the movie version before or after. If it gets too challenging on its own, you might give that a try! But do read the book for sure. :)

    Amy - Yeah, I seemed to be listening almost constantly this month ...

    Cindy said...

    I'm halfway through The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and have to say that I agree with you about not knowing what all the fuss is/was about! I also read The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr Hyde and really enjoyed it1

    Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

    Cindy - I'll be interested to know what you think of it when you finish. And Jekyll/Hyde IS really good, isn't it?!

    ImageNations said...

    Hi this is my first time here. I am adding book blogs to my list and came across yours through Boston Bibliophile. I promote African Literature on my blog. I would be following and hope to talk about books with you. thanks

    Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

    Nana - thanks for dropping by!

    Blog Widget by LinkWithin