Ambassador of Books ~ Book Club Madam ~ Blogger Gal

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Upcoming Author Events in the MD/DC/VA Area

For anyone in the Maryland/DC/Virginia area, here are some events coming up over the next few weeks:



Margaux Fragoso, author of TIGER, TIGER, in Baltimore - Thursday, April 28 - 1-2:30pm

In recognition of National Child Abuse Awareness month, the Baltimore Child Abuse Center (BCAC) is hosting an event this Thursday with Margaux Fragoso, author of the controversial new memoir Tiger, Tiger in which she chronicles her experience with childhood sexual assault. She will be speaking and reading excerpts from her book at the Enoch Pratt Free Library on Thursday, April 28 (see the media advisory below for more information). Her memoir was reviewed by the New York Times (http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/06/books/review/Harrison-t.html) and many other credible outlets. 

Her appearance and talk in Baltimore will mark the first time she is willing to speak with the media.

Child abuse is a very real and prominent problem here in Baltimore and the Baltimore Child Abuse Center is committed to providing all victims of child sexual abuse in Baltimore – and their non-offending caretakers – with interviews, medical treatment, referrals and crisis counseling in a child-friendly setting. Last year, they supported more than 900 children and 600 families locally.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

H. T. Narea, author of THE FUND, at Georgetown University - Tuesday, May 10 - 6:30-8:30pm 

Panel discussion on the book and the idea of financial terrorism - click here for more details


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Justin Kramon, author of FINNY, at Howard County - Thursday May 12, 7-8pm -

According to Justin's email, "The talk is about my life as a writer and how I've used things that have happened to me in my fiction.  It's a talk I've given at other libraries and at book clubs, and it's pretty light and hopefully funny, so I thought it might appeal to a range of different readers and writers.   [...] The event is free and open to the public, but they're asking that people register here: http://host.evanced.info/hclibrary/lib/eventsignup.asp?ID=30810&ret=http://host.evanced.info/hclibrary/lib/eventcalendar.asp?ln=ALL"


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

3 comments:

Kelly! said...

Did you read Tiger, Tiger? I read it and man is it haunting.

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

Kelly! - no, I haven't read it ...

TheBookGirl said...

I'm not in this area, but these events sound great :)
I saw your comments on The Prayers of Agnes Sparrow, and I must confess that I have also had this one on my pile for about a year, lol. You have now piqued my interest with the "dark turn" remark!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin