Ambassador of Books ~ Book Club Madam ~ Blogger Gal

Monday, May 9, 2011

Reading a Classic for the First Time: To Kill A Mockingbird

by Harper Lee
284 pages
To Kill a Mockingbird [Mass Market Paperback]

About the Book: 

In a sleepy Alabama town in the 1930s, young Scout Finch grows up on a quiet street with her brother, Jem, and her father, Atticus.  The town is shaken up when a black man is accused of raping a white woman and Atticus is assigned to defend the man.  This big event, seen through the eyes of Scout, consumes the town for over a year.


My Thoughts: 

I never had to read this book in high school or college, but my husband (a non-reader) said it was the best book he'd ever read.  I watched the movie many years ago and thought, "eh, it's a nice story," but that's about it.  Still, after my husband's high recommendation and all the good things I'd heard about this over the years I figured I ought to give it a chance.  So I recommended it to my book club and they decided to read it for our May meeting.

I picked this up a few days ago and couldn't put it down.  Even knowing how the whole plot turned out (from seeing the movie), I was captivated by the writing in this book.  I mean, the writing - it is just beautiful!  The characters are so real, so vivid ... it's like I know these people.  Harper Lee has a way with words that makes her story flow like water, like a smooth, slow river.  I don't know how else to explain it. And I certainly understand why people love this book!


My Book Club: 

We're meeting to discuss this book on May 22 and I can't wait to see what everyone else thought of it.  I think most of the ladies have read it before, and one of them teaches it in her high school class every year, so I'm sure there will be lots of interesting discussion.

20 comments:

Teacher/Learner said...

So glad you liked it, Heather. I read it in high school & though everyone agreed that the second half was so much better than the first half, that it was worth reading it. I'm re-reading it for a challenge this year. Can't wait!

Myrthe said...

Last year I read To Kill A Mockingbird for the first time. That was such a treat! I loved it. It's definitely a book I am going to reread. Here is the link to my review: http://www.myrthekorf.nl/blog/2010/11/to-kill-a-mockingbird-by-harper-lee/

Bev Hankins said...

I never had to read this in high school or college either and just read it last year. I loved it and I honestly think I wouldn't have if forced to read it in high school.

Anna said...

I read this book for the first time last year and absolutely loved it! I don't think I would have appreciated it as much if I'd read it when I was younger. I hope you'll let us know what your book club thought.

Ti said...

This is one of those books that you can read over and over again and see something new each time. It's the true definition of a classic to me.

Andi said...

I was in the same boat when I read this! I put it off FOREVER because I really felt I already knew the story too well to read it. I loved it, too. Beautiful!

Sheila (Bookjourney) said...

I read this for the first time last summer and LOVED it! I quickly followed it up with the movie and loved it too!

Miri said...

What I love about this book is how scenes just stick in my mind...like the dog in the road.

I put my kids onto it and they also really liked it-especially DS2. Lots to think about and we had some good discussions.

Amanda said...

I really need to reread this. They gave it to us to read when we were way too young to understand, so I don't really remember anything about the book.

bermudaonion said...

I am so jealous that you just got to experience this book for the first time!

Miss Remmers said...

I hadn't read this before I had to teach it this year. I really enjoyed it as well!

Nay said...

Congrats on reading the best book of all time!

Nay said...

oh! and thanks so much for following me on my blog!!!

Aarti said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed this one! I reread it for the first time since high school last year and I think I loved it even more than the first time because I really understood the time frame in which it was being written. i think the book is much better than the movie- so much more goes on in the book :-)

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you made it through high school without having to read this! Like Aarti, I read it again last year and fell in love. It's so deserving of all of the praise it gets.

TheBookGirl said...

I loved this book, and I think I liked the movie just as much. I am very interested in hearing what your book club discussion was like :)

Trisha said...

I read this way back when in middle school, but I don't remember much. I have it on the shelves so I should really re-read it. It seems like one of those books that warrant a pretty good knowledge of.

Rebecca Reid said...

I love this book! I haven't reread it for a few years so I should pick it up again. Thanks for the reminder that it's one of the best out there.

Laura at Library of Clean Reads said...

Like you, I never read this book in high school and I now really want to read it. It's on my list of books to read this summer.

Amused said...

Oh I'm so glad you finally read this one. It is amazing! What a great book club pick!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin