Ambassador of Books ~ Book Club Madam ~ Blogger Gal

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

What's On Your Nightstand?


What's On Your Nightstand? is a new monthly activity over at 5 Minutes for Books. Go on over and check it out! This is the very first month and I'm excited to participate.

I've been reading a LOT lately, but work/home/life-in-general has been very busy and I haven't had time to FINISH books or write reviews. So I'm going to share with you the books that are stashed in my bed, in my bathroom, in my car, in my bag ... all of which I'm reading right now.
  • In Defense of Food (Michael Pollan) - This is the one I'm really working on right now. I read it on my lunch break and before bed ... it goes wherever I go.

  • Why the Wind Blows (Matthys Levy) - I keep this on at work in case I forget book #1.

  • Delta of Venus (Anias Nin) - This one deserves a post all of it's own ... it's the first erotica I've ever read (and it's for the 1% Well Read Challenge too!). Oh my, oh my, oh my ... you'll just have to wait for my review for more details. I keep this one around the house and only read it occasionally - it's not an "every day" book!

  • Some Experiences of an Irish RM (E. Somerville) - I keep this one in the bathroom. Sometime I even read it while brushing my teeth.

  • Dracula (Bram Stoker) - This one is laying around the house somewhere. It's the lowest priority on the list right now but I have started it.

  • 12,000 Miles In the Nick of Time (Mark & Rae Jacobson) - I started this one but put it aside ... it's calling to me but I just don't have time to pick it up right now.

  • Eat, Pray, Love (Elizabeth Gilbert) - I actually finished this one last week but haven't done my review yet. My book club is discussing it on Aug. 3 and I'm participating in an online book club on Aug. 18 so I'll wait until then to post my thoughts.
What's on YOUR nightstand?

11 comments:

Carrie said...

Now this blog is a cool goal. I really like your idea. I keep track of my books read on a yearly basis here: www.the-master-list.blogspot.com

Pretty much the same concept as yourself.

I've seen the book "Eat, Pray, Love" around but I'm not really sure what it's about. I'd love to hear your thoughts.

In the meantime, thanks for sharing your list!

Anonymous said...

oh, Eat, Pray, Love!! I blog quite a bit about that. I'll not spam you with my link, but if you are interested it's on the front page of my blog. I love talking about it.

Ti said...

I use the term "nightstand" loosely but this is what is on my nightstand:

Special Topics in Calamity Physics. I am AMAZED by this book. It is the August pick for my book club but I was not anxious to pick it up. After just a few pages I was fascinated by the writing style.

I am about to crack open The Lace Reader. I cannot wait to do so.

On vacation, I picked up an old copy of Anne of the Green Gables so I am about to crack that open too.

I am also reading Ciao America! Thanks for sending it. I read it in bits and pieces but it is making me laugh! I am thoroughly enjoying it.

My stack keeps getting bigger but these are the ones that I focusing on right now.

Unknown said...

Reading while brushing teeth--I haven't tried that one. . . .

When I was in high school, I did read at stoplights. A very very bad habit (because I was the one driving!).

Lindsay said...

You have books for every location.. I love it! I have wanted to read Eat, Pray, Love but I haven't had the chance to do that yet. I will have to check back for the review :-)

Sarah said...

I LOVED In Defense of Food; it really changed how I think about all that packaged grocery-store stuff!

I always have books all over too. I love starting new ones, and too often fall to the temptation before finishing others. Right now I've got:

Pillars of the Earth - Loving it, but its long and sometimes I need a change of setting

The Monk - Written in 1796 and one of the first gothic novels. It has ghosts, nuns, robbers, lovers, mistaken identities; pretty much any crazy plot twist you can think of.

The Tea Rose - Just started this but it looks like its going to be good. It really flows & I want to know more about the setting and characters.

Bybee said...

Jimmy Corrigan - a graphic novel -- before sleep reading

A Confederacy Of Dunces -- my carry-everwhere book.

What Maisie Knew - a Henry James novel I'm reading at Project Gutenberg.

Unknown said...

I will have to go check that out! Thanks for sharing!

Yes, always interested in what other people are reading!

Currently reading a totally random title from the library, usually being read while in the yard swing -Mermaids in the Basement- by Michael Lee West

In my truck is -Three to Get Deadly- by Janet Evanovich, which I read while the kids are in dance class or other "waiting" times...not at stoplights, lol, I'd get honked at a lot if I did that.

I usually don't do more than two books at a time as I don't get much time to read anymore, and I tend to do in huge chunks, like 1/3 or 1/2 of a book at a sitting.

Amy said...

I love this idea! Very cool.

Antonette said...

Love your blog. It actually inspired me to start one of my own about the things I am reading.
ICLW

http://1crazymomma.typepad.com

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

Thanks everyone for your comments! I enjoyed hearing what you're all reading. And HOW COOL IS THAT - I inspired Antonette to start a new book blog, yeah!

By the way, I do also read in the car, but not at stoplights. I only do it when I'm stuck in traffic and can WALK faster than I'm driving. :)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin