It is COMPLETE!!! Due to poor planning on my part, I had to make several last minute changes to my reading list. I happily made a list of what to read when I signed up for this challenge but I failed to plan ahead and find time to actually read the books I chose, so I ended up substituting several short stories.
I was supposed to read 10 books from the "1,001 Books to Read Before You Die" list by Feb. 28th. In the end, I read seven books and three short stories from the list (the links take you to my reviews) but I DID complete the challenge.
- Cannery Row - I was surprised at how much I really enjoyed this book. The writing is beautiful, and it is very short. Unfortunately it was removed from the 2008 revised 1,001 Books list.
- King Solomon's Mines - For those who've seen The League of Extraordinary Gentleman, this is where Alan Quartermain comes from.
- Dracula - Thought I'd hate it, but I LOVED it. And I'm not a horror fan either.
- Midnight's Children - This one I did hate. I know some of you loved it, but I just don't get it.
- Some Experiences of an Irish RM - Worth reading for me, but not worth talking about.
- Phineas Finn - Quite good! A classic from a series that I may continue reading.
- Delta of Venus - Not at ALL what I expected but very good in parts (and creepy in parts).
- A Modest Proposal - Yes, I understand that it is satire; no, I still don't like it.
- The Pit and the Pendulum - This story encompasses some of my worst fears. *shiver*
- The Fall of the House of Usher - Creepy in a very good way.
- Favorite: It's a tie between Dracula and Cannery Row - both were great reads!
- Worst: Again a tie, this time between Midnight's Children and A Modest Proposal.
- Do it next year?: Absolutely. There are some great books on this list and I'm looking forward to picking out ten more.
Whew, I barely finished this challenge before the deadline. Now it's time to sign up for the next one!