Ambassador of Books ~ Book Club Madam ~ Blogger Gal

Friday, May 8, 2009

Friday Finds, 05/08/09


Welcome to this week's Friday Finds! Only five four books to share with you this time around (thanks to avisannschild for correcting me on that). Have you heard of these? Read any of them? Share your thoughts!



  1. A Study in Scarlet, by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle - This Baker Street Challenge post reminded me that I've never read the very first Sherlock Holmes story. Must fix that asap.



  2. The Selected Works of T.S. Spivit, by Reif Larsen - Medieval Bookworm says "This book is phenomenal. T.S. is a stunning character. He is clearly a genius but clearly a child at the same time; he makes amazing conclusions but then his child-logic can’t always keep up with his scientific mind. I found this fascinating. I’m no genius, but I truly felt that with T.S. I was having a peek into the mind of someone like Stephen Hawking, although much more understandable."



  3. The Discoverers, by Daniel Boorstin - This book is a review of many of the major discoveries throughout history. According to RebeccaReads, it is best read in small bites. Sounds like something to add to my "reference library" shelf.






  4. Olive Kitteridge, by Elizabeth Strout - I've been hearing about this book for months without being particularly interested in reading it. However, it unexpectedly won the Pulitzer this year. That normally wouldn't mean anything to me, but this review at ReadStreet got me thinking that the writing may just be comparable to that in INTERPRETER OF MALADIES ... and THAT would really be something.



That's all for me for now. Hop over to MizB's for more Friday Finds, and have a great weekend!

11 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I really want to read Olive Kitteridge too.

Mary (Bookfan) said...

I read Olive Kitteridge last year. Personally, I prefer Jhumpa Lahiri.

I haven't heard of the Reif Larsen book. Sounds interesting. Thanks for mentioning it.

Jess said...

I have been considering reading Olive Kitteridge as well.

avisannschild said...

Hmm, you say five books but then you only mention four! Count me in as another person who wants to read Olive Kitteridge!

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

Bermudaonion & Jess - I do hope it turns out to be a good book.

Mary - Hmm, maybe my initial disregard for this book may have been the reaction to stick with ...

avisannschild - Thanks, I fixed that. I guess I wasn't paying attention ... oops.

Jo-Jo said...

Olive Kitteridge has caught my eye also. My finds are here.

Ti said...

I won the T.S. Spivet book from Book Page and it's just gorgeous. I can't wait to get into that one.

Alyce said...

I haven't read any of these but they look great!

Becky said...

I just finished reading "Cornfield Heiress" by Errollynne Peters, which was a beautiful book about a woman who lived an amazing life- experienced more than anyone I know. I have been looking for something new to read and can't wait to check out these books. Thanks for the great tips.

Dawn - She is Too Fond of Books said...

My book group read OLIVE KITTERIDGE this fall. I really liked it - Olive has a bit of a prickly personality, but she's written so true ... I liked her, prickles and all!

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

Jo-Jo - thanks for stopping by. :)

Ti - I'm so jealous! I can't wait to see the illustrations.

Alyce - Thanks!

Becky - Ok.

Dawn - Glad to hear you liked it ... some of the other commenters were making me nervous.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin