Ambassador of Books ~ Book Club Madam ~ Blogger Gal

Thursday, May 28, 2009

More Literary Connections

A while back I wrote about all the literary and pop culture connections that I found while reading THE THIRTEENTH TALE. I had to do another post like that because I just couldn't believe all the odd connections between what I've been reading lately.

Ok, here goes ...
  1. I recently read THE LOST MEN by Kelly Tyler-Lewis which opened with the telegraph station at Awarua, New Zealand receiving a vitally important message from the survivors of Shackleton's Ross Sea Party.
  2. Now I'm listening to MISTER PIP by Lloyd Jones and the city of Awarua plays a significant part in the story. The title of the book refers to Pip, the lead character in GREAT EXPECTATIONS by Charles Dickens.
  3. I just finished reading LITTLE BEE by Chris Cleave, in which the title character is given GREAT EXPECTATIONS to read. The character of Little Bee is from war-ravaged Nigeria.
  4. The next book I started reading was THE SECRET KEEPER by Paul Harris. The main character in this book is a journalist who was in war-ravaged Sierra Leone and who has returned there several years later.
  5. As I was researching info for my book club's discussion of LITTLE BEE I came across this video posted on Chris Cleave's blog:



Now tell me that isn't a crazy set of connections!

6 comments:

Ti said...

I can't wait to read your review of Mister Pip.

I am always amazed at how interrealted our reading can be sometimes. I pick up books that are related somehow without even knowing it sometimes until someone points it out to me.

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

Ti - Yeah, it IS crazy. And now I've found similarities between Mr. Pip and The Secret Keeper. Unfortunately I can't mention them in my review b/c it would give too much of the plot away.

Becca said...

Those are a lot of coincidences and connections. It's funny how those things happen.

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

Rebecca :) - Yeah, it was pretty crazy when I thought about it!

Care said...

I love the seemingly coincidental and yet very odd connections between books. I've always thought to do a post like this but my thoughts on these are always mid-book and get lost in my notes or just ... lost.

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

Care - I lose lots of my notes too, but I've started keeping a tiny notebook in my purse where I can jot things down - that has helped a lot! I've got another of these posts scheduled for the coming week - hope you enjoy it. :)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin