Ok, here goes ...
- I recently read THE LOST MEN by Kelly Tyler-Lewis which opened with the telegraph station at Awarua, New Zealand receiving a vitally important message from the survivors of Shackleton's Ross Sea Party.
- Now I'm listening to MISTER PIP by Lloyd Jones and the city of Awarua plays a significant part in the story. The title of the book refers to Pip, the lead character in GREAT EXPECTATIONS by Charles Dickens.
- I just finished reading LITTLE BEE by Chris Cleave, in which the title character is given GREAT EXPECTATIONS to read. The character of Little Bee is from war-ravaged Nigeria.
- The next book I started reading was THE SECRET KEEPER by Paul Harris. The main character in this book is a journalist who was in war-ravaged Sierra Leone and who has returned there several years later.
- As I was researching info for my book club's discussion of LITTLE BEE I came across this video posted on Chris Cleave's blog:
Now tell me that isn't a crazy set of connections!