Ambassador of Books ~ Book Club Madam ~ Blogger Gal

Friday, June 12, 2009

Friday Finds 06/12/09


HELLO and WELCOME to this week's FRIDAY FINDS! Come ONE, come ALL! STEP right UP and see the AMAZING books on my TBR list THIS WEEK!

Alright, alright, enough with the circus ringmaster voice already. I promise to behave ...

Here's what I've added this week:

  1. East of the Sun, by Julia Gregson - I read a guest post by this author at ReadingGroupGuides.com and now I REALLY want to read her book. The intro to her guest post says that this book "unfolds the story of Viva, Rose and Victoria, part of the 'Fishing Fleet,' the name given to the legions of Englishwomen who sailed to India in search of husbands and new lives. Along with sharing some of the memorable moments that have come with the publication of East of the Sun --- including touching letters from readers --- Julia talks about the two women who each had a hand in inspiring her to write the novel."



  2. The Purpose of Boys, by Michael Gurian - 5 Minutes for Books reviewed this, then I saw it again in the Boy Scouting Magazine. According to the book jacket, "in this book, Gurian presents a tool kit for parents who want to discover how to inspire the ultimate fulfillment of their son’s life. As he explains, 'purpose' is vital for the success and happiness of every boy. Throughout the book, Gurian shows how parents can help boys build motivation, character, selflessness, meaningful intimate relationships, a sense of responsibility to family and community, pride in their own good work, and mental and physical health."



  3. Swimming With Pirhanas at Feeding Time, by Richard Coniff - Letters on Pages brought this one to my attention. In his review he says, "is a great travelogue, moving all over the world observing animals in their natural habitats. Conniff is a fantastic descriptive writer…he really expresses what is happening. Which is nice because there is about a 0% chance that I will ever hang out with a group of jellyfish…or swim with piranhas…or search for wild dogs in Africa." And he concludes with this: "If you like learning about wild animals or watching NatGeo, you will probably like this too. If you hate animals, and especially essays about animals…well this book is obviously not for you. Also, you are likely a jerk." LOVE IT!


There is also a movie I want to mention. I first heard of THE FALL over a year ago when I was browsing some Movie Review Blog Carnival. I can't find the blog that originally mentioned it but the post really intrigued me. Unfortunately the movie never played anywhere near me ... but now it is coming to DVD. Tor.com did an excellent review which you should really go check out. The movie is a crazy tale mostly about the power of storytelling and the connection between people. The creator is the same guy who did that movie THE CELL (which really creeped me out, let me tell you!). Anyway, here's the trailer ... let me know what you think.



For more Friday Finds visit MizB at her blog, Should Be Reading.

15 comments:

bermudaonion said...

Those all looks good!

Amanda said...

I just found a copy of East of the Sun at a book fair for a dollar. I was so excited! And I really liked The Fall...it's a bit different though than I thought it was going to be. But I've watched it twice so that says something :) Beautiful cinematography.

Anonymous said...

Ohhh these all look neat - great finds!

avisannschild said...

I want to read East of the Sun too! I loved the movie The Fall (and it's not creepy like The Cell, which I would never watch).

I featured one of your reviews in my FF post this week!

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

bermudaonion & Jess & mommablogsalot - thanks!

Amanda - $1?! Lucky girl! Good to know you like THE FALL - I really want to watch it.

avisannschild - Yeah, I didn't know THE CELL would be that creepy - it gave me nightmares! Thanks for letting me know that you linked to me ... I'm slammed at work today and haven't had time to check out everyone else's finds.

-.- said...

I really like the cover for Swimming With Pirhanas at Feeding Time, plus it sounds like something I would love reading! Swimming with jellyfish sounds like fun...I kinda want to try that out now.

Great finds this week!

~ Popin

Mary (Bookfan) said...

Great Finds!

Staci said...

East of the Sun is on my radar screen too!! Like your Friday finds!!

Jacqueline C. said...

East of the Sun has aught my eye too! Nice find! Here are my finds: (1) and (2)

Dreamybee said...

I really liked The Fall. I loved the little girl in it-she is so cute, and I thought she did a great job. It's kind of an odd movie, and I don't necessarily think it's a "good" movie, but it is beautiful, and I enjoyed it.

The pirhana book looks good. I've added it to my list.

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

Popin - me too!

Mary - Thanks for stopping by.

Staci & Jacqueline - That one looks really good, doesn't it?!

Dreamybee - I read somewhere that the little girl didn't speak any English and that she just memorized the lines without knowing what they meant ... not sure WHERE I read that though.

kelly said...

I *loved* The Fall. Can't wait to hear what you think! I think it was one of my favorite movies I've seen this year!

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

Kelly - thanks for the good recommendation!

Amy said...

The Fall is one of those movies that never leaves you. Plus I just love Lee Pace. Like so much. It's a different sort of film, but definitely absolutely worth watching.

Letters on Pages said...

Thanks for the link -- I appreciate the love!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin