Ambassador of Books ~ Book Club Madam ~ Blogger Gal

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Lovely Links # 17


I'm now officially back from my Disney vacation but this is a pre-scheduled post so I can't tell you how much fun I had just yet. I'm always overwhelmed with things to do and blogs to catch up on after a few days away, so I hope you'll put up with my pseudo-absence a little longer. In the meantime, enjoy these links!

Books
  • What do The 6th Sense (the movie) and The Turn of the Screw (the book) have in common? Click here to find out.

  • What are your thoughts on strong female characters? Which are your favorites? Get in on the discussion at OCD, vampires, and rants, oh my!

  • SciFi publisher Tor Books (whose website I totally love: tor.com) launched an online store recently. And they are promoting not only their own books but scifi/fantasy from a wide variety of publishers. Read an interview about it here and check out the store here.

Life & History
  • This one minute video about the impact of adoption is amazing. Go check it out! And the blog it is posted on is one of my favorites - the couple recently adopted their daughter from China, and they have grandchildren her same age.

  • Beach erosion in England reveals historical artifacts. Watch the video here.

  • Ancient people roasted mammoths for dinner - cool!

  • The sport of "Hill Cheese Rolling"? Looks crazy to me but the photos are worth checking out for sure.

  • Plays With Needles is a blog I read consistently and it is one of my favorites. I'm NOT a creative person but this blogger certainly is! Hop on over here to see her latest creation and read the story she weaves around it ... simply amazing in my opinion. (Yes, this is the same blogger I met recently.)

Nature
Movies
Hopefully I'll be here for real tomorrow!

6 comments:

marie said...

Welcome back to the "real world" ~ I hope you had a grand time in WDW! Of course, how could you not have!

This is a great post - lots of really fun information. I'll be more thorough about exploring it when I'm on my own time later today. Lunch breaks can only be stretched for so long.....

Clive Young said...

Like you pointed out, the Hunt for Gollum fan film is getting a ton of coverage all over the net; I'm not surprised as I've been writing about its production progress on my daily fan film blog, fancinematoday.com for months, and yeah, they made a solid film.

For what it's worth, if you want to find out more about fan films in general, I wrote the first book about the history and future of 'em, Homemade Hollywood, which hit stores earlier this year. It traces backyard, amateur fan productions from the 1920s (Little Rascals) through fan efforts made by the likes of Hugh Hefner and Andy Warhol, up to today's jaw-dropping efforts. Gollum came out too late to be in the book, but with any luck, I'll get to do a second edition in a few years and will definitely work it in. :)

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

Marie - Glad to be home, but missing Disney all the same. I hope to have pics up soon but I'm not making any promises ...

Clive - thanks for all the info!

Susan Elliott said...

What a great list of links this week...I've saved it so I can go over all of your movie related, sci-fi links with the men. You're turning into a family blog! And thanks for the link too!

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

Plays with Needles: Yea! I'm family-worthy! ~LOL~

Dreamybee said...

Welcome back, and thanks for the link love!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin