Ambassador of Books ~ Book Club Madam ~ Blogger Gal

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

RIP David Eddings

I know this news is a bit old by now but I wanted to write about it anyway. For those of you who don't know, David Eddings was an epic fantasy author. You can read a bit about him in this wonderful post from Tor.com. It includes excerpts from several of his books and explains why he was such a fantastic author - it is very much worth reading.

I've written about Eddings before in this post where I talked about my favorite books from childhood. His first series, The Belgariad, came out in the early 1980s when I was in elementary school. My dad had introduced me to Tolkien at age 6 and by 8 or 9 I was ready for something new so he gave one of Eddings's new books. I devoured it. Years later I reread the books and they were just as good as I remembered. To this day Polgara, one of the main female characters, is still one of my all-time favorites from any book ever.

Here's a list of all the Eddings books that I've read along with the years they were published:

The Belgariad series
  • Pawn of Prophecy (1982)
  • Queen of Sorcery (1982)
  • Magician's Gambit (1983)
  • Castle of Wizardry (1984)
  • Enchanters' End Game (1984)
The Malloreon series
  • Guardians of the West (1987)
  • King of the Murgos (1988)
  • Demon Lord of Karanda (1988)
  • Sorceress of Darshiva (1989)
  • The Seeress of Kell (1991)
Books related to The Belgariad and The Malloreon
  • Belgarath the Sorcerer (1995) (Prequel) with Leigh Eddings
  • Polgara the Sorceress (1997) (Prequel) with Leigh Eddings
  • The Rivan Codex (1998) with Leigh Eddings
The Elenium series
  • The Diamond Throne (1989)
  • The Ruby Knight (1990)
  • The Sapphire Rose (1991)
The Tamuli series
  • Domes of Fire (1992)
  • The Shining Ones (1993)
  • The Hidden City (1994)

I read most of these books shortly after they came out. I can't believe it's been so long ...

If you have read Eddings then you know how much he'll be missed. If you have not, I strongly recommend that you pick up PAWN OF PROPHECY. The Belgariad is a fantastic series, one that is not to be missed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'm posting this today (versus another day this week) in honor of Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers Day.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(Just a reminder that I'm currently enjoying my visit to Disney World and will respond to all comments when I return.)

2 comments:

Lezlie said...

I hadn't heard this. I never read Eddings, but I've always been told that I need to make time to do so. It's so sad to lose a great author.

Lezlie

Anonymous said...

The Belgariad and the Mallorean were the first Fantasy genre books that I ever read and were what turned me on to the genre. I will forever be grateful for them and will miss Mr. Eddings. May he rest in piece.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin