Ambassador of Books ~ Book Club Madam ~ Blogger Gal

Friday, June 5, 2009

Friday Finds


I didn't post a Friday Finds list last week because - miracle of miracles! - I hadn't added anything to my TBR list. That's likely due to the fact that I was so busy I could only skim all your blogs and not because you all weren't reviewing anything good.

So here's what I've found this week ...


  1. The Borgia Bride, by Jeanne Kalogridis - Books 'N Border Collies says "My only knowledge of the Borgia family prior [this book] was a lot of malicious historical gossip that I always wondered about. Well, it turns out [...] that the majority of it appears to be true. Excellent! Nothing like papal corruption, poisoning of rivals, fratricide, incest and dreams of military domination to pique a reader's interest!" Sounds good to me!



  2. The Walking People, by Mary Beth Keane - "Greta Cahill never believed she would leave her village in the west of Ireland until she found herself on a ship bound for New York, along with her sister Johanna and a boy named Michael Ward. Labeled a "softheaded goose" by her family, Greta discovers that in America she can fall in love, raise her own family, and earn a living. Though she longs to return and show her family what she has made of herself, her decision to spare her children knowledge of a secret in her past forces her to keep her life in New York separate from the life she once loved in Ireland, and tears her apart from the people she is closest to. Even fifty years later, when the Ireland of her memory bears little resemblance to that of the present day, she fears that it is still possible to lose all when she discovers that her children—with the best of intentions— have conspired to unite the worlds she’s so carefully kept separate for decades. A beautifully old-fashioned novel, The Walking People is a debut of remarkable range and power." I heard about this in the BookBrowse newsletter.


  3. The Unlikely Disciple, by Kevin Roose - "As a sophomore at Brown University, Kevin spent his days drinking fair-trade coffee, singing in an a cappella group, and fitting right in with Brown's free-spirited, ultra-liberal student body. But when Roose leaves his Ivy League confines to spend a semester at Liberty University, a conservative Baptist school in Lynchburg, Virginia, obedience is no longer optional." I've heard quite a bit about this book but Alyce's review made me add it to my list. Check out the book trailer below and tell me what you think.



What do you think - do any of these appeal to you?

As always, you can visit MizB for more Friday Finds.

26 comments:

Literature Crazy said...

That third book looked phenomenal--I'll definitely be checking it out.

(Also, it seems like stories about immigration from Ireland are quite popular right now. This is the second one I've come across in as many weeks that looks really good.)

Jess said...

The Unlikely Disciple sounds great, I have seen it on a few other blogs and its getting some good buzz.

-.- said...

The Borgia Bride sounds like something right up my alley. Great finds this week.

~ Popin

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

Heather - I've noticed the Ireland thing myself, but I thought it was just that I'm interested in Ireland so those books were standing out to me ... guess not!

Jess - I've been hearing good things, hope it lives up to the hype.

Popin - You should go check out Lezlie's review (the one I linked to) - she got me really excited about this one.

Cackleberry Homestead said...

Wow - all three of these sound great - I had seen The Unlikely Disciple before, but not the other two. I'm adding all three to my wish list. Thanks for sharing.

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

Thanks Crystal - hope you enjoy them!

Robin M said...

You always discover the most interesting books. Will have to check them out.

Missy B. said...

I am adding The Unlikely Disciple to my Wish List. Happy Reading!

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

Robin and Missy - Thanks for stopping by!

Lezlie said...

Oooo! I like the cover of The Borgia Bride that you found! Mine was different. Thanks for the link!

Lezlie

Lenore Appelhans said...

Must not read any more Friday Finds until I make a bigger dent in my pile...especially yours!

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

Lezlie - Thanks for reviewing it! You are to blame for much of the increase in my TBR list lately. :)

Lenore - I know that feeling - I should just stop reading reviews now! ~LOL~

avisannschild said...

I have another book by Jeanne Kalogridis on my TBR pile. Alyce's review made me want to read The Unlikely Disciple too!

Jacqueline C. said...

The first one sounds really good. Good finds! Here's my list

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

avisannschild - Alyce did a great job with that one, didn't she? :)

Jacqueline C - Thanks for stopping by!

Amy said...

Yes, you should definitely read the Unlikely Disciple! It's a great book. :)

Sassy Brit @ Alternative-Read.com said...

The Borgia Bride and The Unlikely Disciple sound great to me. Thanks for sharing, and for commenting on my blog!

Here's mine, for those who haven't seen it yet.

Sassy
:)

Mari - Escape In A Book said...

These books looks great, especially The Walking People!

Here's my Friday Finds

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

Amy - Glad to know you enjoyed it - that's all the more reason to read it.

Sassy Brit - You're welcome. Thanks for coming by here!

Ladybug - Thanks for stopping by. :)

Becca said...

I am still thinking on The Unlikely Disciple but I have read good reviews on it. I had not heard of the Borgia family before- skipped my radar somehow. But the book definitely sounds like a delicious late night read!

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

Rebecca :) - Ooh, good idea about the Borgia book!

Dawn - She is Too Fond of Books said...

I love personal memoir, and THE UNLIKELY DISCIPLE appeals to me. I've read about this book, and wonder what the reaction at the school was when the author revealed the truth about who he was (and what he believed)

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

Dawn - I was wondering the same thing myself ...

Amy said...

He does talk about that in the book. :)

Jenny Girl said...

You must read the Borgia Bride! Excellent book!

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

Amy - That makes me want to read it even more, thanks!

Jenny Girl - Thanks for the endorsement!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin