Ambassador of Books ~ Book Club Madam ~ Blogger Gal

Monday, March 22, 2010

Mom & Son Book Club #15: The Titan's Curse

The Titan's Curse
Percy Jackson and the Olympians #3
by Rick Riordan 320 pages


I started reading this to Kiddo back in November, I think. In December we took a break to read A Christmas Carol together. Between Hockey, Cub Scouts, AWANA, school, and family activities, we didn't finally finish the book until the end of February.

Do you want to know another reason that we took so long to read this? Kiddo started reading some of it to me! As you may recall, he's struggled with reading but has been improving steadily. I am so very impressed that he is able to read parts of this book to me, even if he still has trouble with lots of the words and his pace is very slow. All that doesn't matter - the fact that he is trying really hard, and (for the most part) enjoying it ... that makes me a very happy momma indeed.

I don't have much to say about this book that I haven't said about the previous ones in the series. Although it is fun to read with Kiddo, it is not a series that I would really have enjoyed on my own. The Greek mythology theme is clever and interesting but to my mind the book is geared more to it's intended audience: kids. This book does stray slightly into romantic situations but those are an undertone to the main plot, and more a part of the growing-up process of the characters. Kiddo didn't seem to notice it at all.

One thing I did notice, and this is more about our experience reading than about the book itself, is that Kiddo is getting better at putting the clues together and anticipating what might be coming next. In previous books, I'd have a plot twist figured out chapters ahead of time but he'd be completely surprised by it. Now he is catching on to the hints in the story and is quite pleased when he realizes he was right about something.

Kiddo intended to do a video with his thoughts on the characters but time got away from us. By this point he is focused more on the next book in the series and doesn't really have much to say about this one. Hopefully next time we'll have it a bit more together and we'll be able to do a video just after we finish reading ...

8 comments:

Michelle (Red Headed Book Child) said...

I read the first one in this series and have plans to read the others. I thought i was a fun book, clever and imaginative. Good for your kiddo, easier than Harry Potter and a little different!

Tribute Books said...

sounds like a good book.

bermudaonion said...

Way to go, kiddo! The pace of reading doesn't matter one bit - it's the pleasure you get from it that counts.

Ryan said...

I'm glad you guys are enjoying the series and that he is starting to read to you, it takes all the work out of story time.

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

Michelle - "clever and imaginative" - yes, I agree!

Tribute Books - thanks for coming by.

bermudaonion - You're right, the pace doesn't matter at all.

Ryan G - Oh yeah, you got THAT right! LOL

Trisha said...

I love it that Kiddo is picking up on plot clues! I enjoyed this series, but I agree that it is more geared towards children.

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

Trisha - Exactly!

Robin M said...

I'm hoping to get my james interested in this series. We just finished reading 20,000 leagues under the sea. Mercy!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin