Ambassador of Books ~ Book Club Madam ~ Blogger Gal

Friday, May 28, 2010

LOST Books Challenge: Recap and Continuation

Back in 2008 I signed up for a new challenge based on the tv show LOST (here's my original post). The challenge didn't take off much that first year, but Amy decided to host again the next year anyway and I volunteered to help. That's when the LOST Books Challenge Blog was born, and what fun I've had since then! I can't believe that the show has finally come to an end. (If you are interested, click here to see what I thought of the final episode, and for pics of the LOST viewing party I attended.)

If you were a fan of LOST then you know how important books were to the development and progression of the show. Whenever I read books from the show list I tried to figure out what significance they held; part of each review is my thoughts on that topic.

The original goal two years ago was to read five books from the show. That first year I read two but since the challenge just seemed to flow seamlessly into it's second year, I didn't do a recap back then. So here is a list of everything I've read for this challenge since the beginning:
  1. Moby Dick, by Herman Melville - Although it was slow, I really did appreciate this book. And I found of a lot of relation to LOST, although the official site disagrees with me.
  2. Island, by Aldous Huxley - Like the LOST island, this island is closed to outside influences. But the book is possibly the biggest waste of time ever.
  3. The Odyssey, by Homer - A true classic, and it parallel's Desmond and Penny's relationship - yay!
  4. The Pearl, by John Steinbeck - I really didn't like this one, but it relates to Hurley so I can't hate it.
  5. On the Road, by Jack Keruac - This one I DID hate, and it had no real connection to the show in my opinion.
  6. The Invention of Morel, by Adolfo Bioy Casares - This was an odd little story but it had a lot of connections to LOST, which I realized only after reading Amy's review.
Here's the extra cool part: because there were so many books that we didn't get to read before the show ended, Amy and I decided to make the LOST Books Challenge into a perpetual project.  That means that if you are interested in participating, you still can!!!

If you are a LOST fan - whether you liked the ending of the show or not - please join us in exploring some of these fantastic books ... and get LOST reading. ;) 

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin