Ambassador of Books ~ Book Club Madam ~ Blogger Gal

Friday, October 3, 2008

Friday Finds 10/03/08 - The Book Fest Edition


I'm doing two posts for Friday Finds this week because I have so much to share. This edition is dedicated to the books I found at the Baltimore Book Festival but that weren't featured on a panel (if you missed my first several posts click here to check them out).

The Maya Earth Trilogy by Margaret Evans

"When two archaeologists discover Mayan hieroglyphics in California, they become entangled in a dangerous race against time to save the Maya and the earth itself." Books 1 and 2 are complete, book 3 comes out in '09. I really want to read this series! The author was very pleasant to speak with and the idea of the book is fascinating to me. Click here to read the entire first chapter.






His Will My Wants by Dawn Reid

The story of two women in love with the same man, and all three are struggling with what God wants for their lives.






The Chesapeake Book of the Dead: Tombstones, Epitaphs, Histories, Reflections, and Oddments of the Region by Helen Chappell
"From ... one of the very best writers in the region, comes observation and musing about dead people, graveyards, tombstones, funerals, burials, and grieving customs around the Chesapeake Bay." Does this no sound strangley fascinating? And is it just me, or does it make those of us who live near this lovely bay sound like some exotic tribe somewhere?




And finally, the book that had hubby and I both were extremely excited about, the one that we bought as soon as we read the cover ...

Food Allergy Survival Guide: Living Well Without Dairy, Eggs, Fish, Gluten, Peanuts, Shellfish, Soy, Tree Nuts, Wheat, Yeast, and More by V. Melina, J. Stepaniak, and D. Aronson

Yes, I know, this likely doesn't sound that exciting to you but WOW is it ever great for us! I've talked before about kiddos allergies and how hard it is to find a variety of healthy, enjoyable, and affordable foods for him to eat. This is the first cook book we've ever found that gives recipes for meals excluding all the things he's actually allergic to. The first half of the book explains allergies and the nutritional problems they can cause, as well as ways to avoid those problems. The second half is chock full of recipes that kiddo can actually eat. And the meals sound really good too ... banana bread, broccoli bisque (kiddo loves broccoli), blueberry buckle, quiche (!!!), chick pea crepes, juice muffins, lemon pound cake, noodles and snow peas, pad-thai, and much, much more. All my allergy family readers get why I'm so excited over this I know.

So those are the books I found at the Baltimore Book Festival. Do any appeal to you?

Click here to check out my other, regular Friday Finds post.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Chesapeake Book of the Dead appeals to me. I really love reading about such things. Thanks for adding a new book to my wishlist :)

Anonymous said...

The Food Allergy book would be so helpful. I struggle with what to make for dinner every night because my sweet son is allergic to milk,eggs, nuts and seafood. The Chesapeake Book sounds fascinating, too -- interestingly creepy!

Kristen @ www.thefamilythatreadstogether.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I like the third book. It sounds interesting!

My FF!

Julie P. said...

I will have to check out the cookbook. Thanks for the info!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I see Julie P. posted above ... I was going to tell you that she reviewed (at Booking Mama) a food-allergy cookbook in the past week or so (very favorable review)

Literary Feline said...

The Maya Earth Trilogy sounds especially intriguing to me! Thank you for bringing it to my attention.

Susan Elliott said...

yes, I am intrigued by the grieving procedures and tombstones of this area. You're not the only one...

Blog Widget by LinkWithin