Ambassador of Books ~ Book Club Madam ~ Blogger Gal

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

A (Cancelled) Journey to the Center of the Earth

You may recall that I recently fell in love with Jules Verne and that I loved the two books by him that I've read. I've been wanting to get back to my long Verne TBR list for quite some time, so I decided to try some of his books on audio.

My first pick was A JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH. I recently watched the Brendan Frasier movie version with Kiddo and I was in the mood to find out the "real" story.

I started listening at work a few days ago and I couldn't seem to get into it. I wasn't sure what the problem was but I knew that part of it was the narrator. Something was off and I couldn't put my finger on it.

BUT THEN! I realized that this is the same narrator* I despised when he read Bernard Cornwell's STONEHENGE. In fact, it was due in large part to the narration that I couldn't stand that book.

I listened to another 10 minutes or so then I called it quits on this version of A JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH. I'm afraid if I listen any longer that I'll end up hating this book too.

A quick visit to my library's website showed another version of this audio book on cassette - you can bet your bippie that I put a hold on that sucker!


* In case you're wondering, his name is Frederick Davidson, and I will be avoiding him like the plague from here on out. (And I'm still in Disney so I'll respond to your comments when I get back.)

7 comments:

Becca said...

Yes, a bad narrator could certainly ruin the whole story for you. I had trouble even listening to Toni Morrison narrate her own book, The Bluest Eye. Sometimes you just need someone who is a good actor I think to really bring it to life.

Jenny Girl said...

Have a wonderful time in Disney :) Say hello to Captain Hook for me!

Dave said...

I never realized a narrator could have such a devastating impact. At least you now have his name, and can avoid wasting any more time with his readings.

Dawn - She is Too Fond of Books said...

I started listening to audiobooks just 5-6 months ago. Some narrators are wonderful and I seek out the books they've read.

Alyce said...

I've found that the narrator makes a huge difference for whether or not I enjoy an audiobook. I tried listening to A Thousand Splendid Suns, but couldn't stand the voice of the narrator, so I gave up. It's one I'm sure I'll have to read in book form. Good luck with the different audio version!

Joanne said...

Thank you! I listened to Journey to the Center of the Earth too and I couldn't stand it. I finally finished it, but what a slog! Then a few months later I started listening to Swiss Family Robinson and also hated it and realized it was the same guy too! This man is awful. His pronunciation of certain words are like nails on chalkboard.

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

Joanne - I'm glad to know that it is not just me!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin