Ambassador of Books ~ Book Club Madam ~ Blogger Gal

Monday, June 8, 2009

Lunch with a Blogging Buddy

Last Monday I had a lovely outdoor lunch with Susan from the blog Plays With Needles. I'm not sure where I first found Susan's blog but I remember seeing it in someone's blogroll and thinking "What the heck is that all about?!" When I ventured over to check it out I found that Susan is a needlework artist. Not sure what the official name for that is, but whatever it is, Susan is GREAT at it. This gal can sew, stitch, embroider, bead, you name it! (Me, on the other hand ... not so much. I'm lucky if I can sew a patch on Kiddo's Cub Scout uniform.) AND she is incredibly athletic. She bikes, she swims, she runs, and in general gets up off her butt. (Again, unlike me, who would avoid all exercise if it were humanly possible.)

Anyway, Susan and I began exchanging comments then later, emails. She didn't want to get sucked into the book blogging world (even though she's in a book club) because she is already so involved with the needlework bloggers. But the 1% Well Read Challenge intrigued her, so she did join that ... and she's on her 2nd year now.

After a while of reading each others blogs we realized that we live just 20 minutes apart - who knew?! Yet we never thought of getting together ... until now.

Here's a (not so great) picture of Susan and I at my favorite restaurant, Chevy's.

The weather was excellent so we sat outside. Susan had never been there but I think I've convinced that to return - especially for half-price margaritas at happy hour!

Despite my limited lunch hour we had a wonderful chat about books and life. We also talked about getting our book clubs together to socialize. Oh, and she brought one of her bead projects for me to see - it was GORGEOUS!

I'd love to do lunch with Susan again. She is as fun and lovely as she seems on her blog and I'm sure we'll get to be great friends.

Please go visit Plays with Needles and check out some of the gorgeous projects and amazing adventures she posts about - Susan's is a blog worth adding to your regular visits. And you can read her recap of our lunch here.

UPDATE: I forgot to add this funny story. Over the weekend I got a voicemail from one of the gals in my book club, Nancy, that said "I was just reading one of my needlework blogs and the woman had a picture of you and said she met you for lunch! WOW!" Is that not too funny?! I didn't know Nancy read Susan's blog too!

20 comments:

bermudaonion said...

It's so much fun to meet virtual friends. I haven't been disappointed yet! I checked out Susan's blog and her work is absolutely amazing. Thanks for sharing.

Lezlie said...

How fun! I'm glad you guys had such a great time!

Lezlie

Care said...

I never tire of reading about happy blogger meetings. It's all about the connections, right?

Ti said...

How cool that you guys managed to hook up after all this time! Her work is beautiful too. I checked out her blog and am in awe.

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

bermudaonion - It's great to meet other bloggers isn't it?! Unlike "regular" people, they don't think we are crazy. ~LOL~

Lezlie - Too bad YOU'RE not closer - I'd love to meet you too.

Care - Yep, that's right. :)

Ti - Susan is SO talented - I'm completely envious.

Lezlie said...

Me, too! I have a travel phobia, but if you ever make it to the Twin Cities for anything, be sure to let me know!

Lezlie

Sarah said...

It's always fun to put a face with a blog! Not related to this post, but I wanted to thank you for your review of The Beekeepers Apprentice from way back when. I'm now reading that book on your recommendation and loving it!

Susan Elliott said...

Hey!! I stopped by to read about books and here you are talking about needlework!! I didn't know about Nancy either so I guess we'll have to include her in our next lunch!! Thanks for saying all those nice things...shucks...

I'm ready whenever you are...BTW, I went to Second Edition -- that used book store I was telling you about off of Dobbin Rd. and they had BOTH books I was looking for today! You've got to check it out...Maybe if you like sushi, you and me, and kiddo and Jack can meet, eat sushi and then go next door to look at books...

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

Sarah G - Thanks for letting me know that you're reading THE BEEKEEPER'S APPRENTICE! I'm so glad that you are enjoying it - I'd never heard of it before reading about it on a blog myself. I'm almost ready to start the latest book in the series, THE LANGUAGE OF BEES, and you know I'll have a review up after I finish. :)

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

Plays With Needles - Yeah, I'm sure Nancy would love to meet you! And lunch and book shopping sounds great - Kiddo would love to meet Jack, and he'd love to book shop too. :) We'll have to get a date set soon!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like fun. It would be amazing to meet someone who's blog I read everyday too :)

I just had a look at Susan's blog. all the awesome things she has posted ,it's overwhelming.

Anonymous said...

I can't believe there's a Chevy's by you! My family has been holding out on me! I love Chevy's! When I go back home we usually rendezvous at Calif. Pizza Kitchen, but next time I'm lobbying for Chevy's!!!

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

violetcrush - I've had a chance to meet a few bloggers now and it is always great!

rhapsodyinbooks - OH YEAH! Gotta love Chevy's! There are several in the area so lobby hard. :)

Dawn - She is Too Fond of Books said...

How fun to connect IRL with another blogger!

You never know, Susan may be able to convert you to sewing Kiddo's scout patches with some fancy stitches :)

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

Dawn - Now THAT would be funny! ~LOL~

Serena said...

wow so we're not the only bloggers you live near! Wonderful...I'm going to check out her projects

avisannschild said...

Meeting up with other bloggers is so much fun! I'm getting together with blogging friends this weekend and I can't wait because one of them went to BEA. I'm looking forward to hearing the scoop firsthand!

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

Serena - Maybe we can find MORE local bloggers!

avisannschild - Ooh, that sounds like LOTS of fun. :)

Bybee said...

Very cool...I'm meeting up with one of my book blog friends tomorrow (Sunday, June 14) for the first time! Yaaay!

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

bybee - Hope you have fun!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin