Ambassador of Books ~ Book Club Madam ~ Blogger Gal

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

The Endurance (Dec. '07)


I completely forgot to post about this one when I listened to it back in December ... oops! The Endurance : Shackleton's Legendary Antarctic Expedition, by Caroline Alexander, Michael Tezla, and Marin Rubin is a wonderful audio book. I listened on the way to and from work (and any other time I was in the car alone) and there were several times when I didn't want to get out of the car. I wonder if the printed version includes some of the photographs mentioned in the story. I'd love to see them! Shackleton's expedition has interested me for quite a while ... I'm absolutely amazed by the fact that ALL his men survived their ordeal!

What was REALLY neat for me was listening to this while driving in heavy snow - it set the mood perfectly! Heavy snow in Maryland in early December is quite unusual but it was a great setting for the story.

I really enjoyed this one. I gave it to my mom to listen to, but I don't know if she will ...

1 comment:

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

(I recv'd this in an email from the couple who ordered these cassettes from me through PaperbackSwap.com)

Hi Heather, just wanted to sent you this little message and let you know we are thoroughly enjoying the Shackelton tapes. Having reading most of the books about this journey I was quite familiar with what it was all about but listening to the tapes made it more real. And I'd also like to add that we had the privilege of visiting the Shackelton exhibition at the Museum of Natural History in New York when it was there and that was really something and to think that I actually reached over and touched the James Caird that was on display there...felt like I was really close to Shackelton. Just thought we would share our thoughts with you and let you know we are enjoying the tapes.
Dennis and Ruth

Blog Widget by LinkWithin