Ambassador of Books ~ Book Club Madam ~ Blogger Gal

Thursday, August 7, 2008

BTT - My first!

I've never done a Booking Through Thursday post but I LOVE the today's topic so I just had to join in!

The questions of the day are:
1. Are there any particular worlds in books where you’d like to live?
2. Or where you certainly would NOT want to live?
3. What about authors? If you were a character, who would you trust to write your life?
I'm so glad you asked!

1. First choice - and this was WAY easy to pick - Pern, the world created by Anne McCaffery. If you haven't read her books you MUST, you ABSOLUTELY MUST. I'd suggest starting with the brief trilogy Dragonsong/Dragonsinger/Dragondrums. Why Pern, you ask? Dragons, dragon riders, fire lizards, bonding between dragon/fire lizard and human, intelligent dolpins, master harpers, rural life, and yes some danger but not too much, and a whole "lost" history to reconstruct. You can check out the Pern Museum to get an idea of this world. Cool, huh?

2. Definitely not someplace creepy - that's for sure!

3. The first author that came to mind is (the late) Robert Jordan. He's the genius behind the Wheel of Time series that I rave about in my left sidebar. His characters are all complex people and he shows their flaws alongside their attributes. I think he'sd be the most honest writer of my character. Plus he's great at creating story lines so I KNOW he'd make my life more interesting that it really is!

10 comments:

Debi said...

Oh, that first one really is a fun question! (I might just pick the Shire.) Anyway, I keep hearing such wonderful things about Anne McCaffery's books, but have yet to read any.

SmilingSally said...

Welcome to BTT. Good to have you.

Susan Elliott said...

Do you think the Anne McCaffery series and the Robert Jordan Wheel of Time books are age appropriate for my son who is 12? I haven't read either one but he is a huge fantasy buff and devours every series I throw at him...I'm glad we felt the same way about Dracula...now, onto the movie...

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

Debi - Yes, I highly recommend her books! Let me know if you pick one up. :)

SmilingSal - thanks!

Play w/ Needles - I'd say that McCaffery is completely appropriate, but be aware that there is some sex in the books. Not detailed at all, but you know that it happens (when the dragons mate their bonded humans "get the urge" as well). As for Robert Jordan, his series is IMMENSE so only give that to your son if he's a big reader (there are 12 total books with 500-900 pages each). I don't think there's anything inappropriate in that one either. I started reading it middle school myself.

kristen said...

Welcome to BTT!! You may find it a bit addicting... but so fun...!

Anonymous said...

Welcome to BTT! You are gonna love it!

Here is my BTT post

Lightheaded said...

I still haven't opened my Dragonflight book! Must start soon! Pern looks interesting.

Literary Feline said...

Pern sounds like a wonderful place! I will have to visit there one of these days, I think.

Amanda said...

Oh! I love Anne McCaffery AND Robert Jordan. My dad had some of their books and I totally got hooked. Dorsai! and Sprit of Dorsai by Gordon R. Dickson are good books too :)

trish said...

I've got the first Wheel of Time book coming to me in the mail. I'm so excited! Especially after seeing that kinda like it. A little. :D

Blog Widget by LinkWithin