Ambassador of Books ~ Book Club Madam ~ Blogger Gal

Monday, August 4, 2008

Show & Tell: Harry Potter's 10th Anniversary

On July 31st my library hosted a 10th Birthday Party for Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. Can you believe it was ten years ago that the Harry phenomenon began? I didn't start reading until about a year later, and then only because my dad told me I should. Up to that point I couldn't be bothered with this new children's fantasy series that was all over the news. But Dad & I always share book recommendations and we almost always have the same taste in books, so I decided to trust him on this one. Boy, am I glad that I did! I can't wait to see the new movie this winter. You can be sure that Dad & I will have tickets in advance! Hubby will be there too of course, but kiddo will likely have to wait for the DVD. I just recently let him watch movies 1-5 and he's definitely not ready for the intensity of book 6 on the big screen (although he'd tell you that he is!).

Here's a pic of kiddo at the library party. He's dressed as Harry (that's a Gryffindor tag around his neck) complete with scar and wand, and he's concocting a potion that includes something to make you go to sleep and lots of polyjuice (that's what he told me!). Sorry for the poor quality; this was taken with a cell phone.


8 comments:

Ti said...

Have you heard about the new Harry Potter series Rowling is working on? The Tales of Beedle the Bard. Here is the link:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/The-Tales-of-Beedle-the-Bard/J-K-Rowling/e/9780545128285/?itm=2

Amanda said...

Too too cute :) He looks like he's having fun!

Nan said...

He is so adorable! What a great thing the HP phenomenon has been for kids - all those bookstore and library special occasions. I fear, I am one who just doesn't like the books. My kids have read them faithfully as they've come out, and love the movies.

Debi said...

Oh my goodness, but he is just as adorable as can be!!! My little guys were way too afraid to watch the fifth one, so I know I won't have to worry about them begging to go see the next one.

Rebecca (Ramblings by Reba) said...

I LOVE Harry Potter books. :)

By the way, I got Cannery Row a few days ago. Thanks!

Stephanie said...

Adorable!!! :) I didn't start reading the Harry Potter books til, gosh...it was about 2001, 2002, I think. I believe it was either just before or during my pregnancy with my son. It must've been just before, because his dad got me one of the books when I was in the hospital due to hyperemesis. They're such fun books and SO great to get kids reading.

Amy said...

oh my gosh, adorable!:)

i am a long time fan of hp and i was sad to finish the last book.

Anonymous said...

Awww, he's a cute kid! I'm going to the midnight show on the day it opens. I can't wait either, especially since Rupert has a bigger role in this installment.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin