Ambassador of Books ~ Book Club Madam ~ Blogger Gal

Friday, July 3, 2009

Friday Finds 07/03/09


I've been away from Friday Finds for a few weeks and boy, has my list grown in that time! I have 8 VERY DIFFERENT books to share with you this time around ...


Wicked Plants, by Amy Stuart - "A tree that sheds poison daggers; a glistening red seed that stops the heart; a shrub that causes paralysis; a vine that strangles; and a leaf that triggered a war. Stewart takes on over two hundred of Mother Nature's most appalling creations in an A to Z of plants that kill, maim, intoxicate, and otherwise offend." Thanks to Ti for pointing this one out to me.




Crazy for the Storm, by Norman Ollestad - "The book is indeed a memoir of a young boy’s harrowing mountaintop quest for survival, but it’s also the story of the fundamental relationship between a father and a son, and how that relationship can be an essential source of strength." I found this one in BookReporter.com's newsletter.



Wesley the Owl, by Stacey O'Brien - "On Valentine's Day 1985, biologist Stacey O'Brien first met a four-day-old baby barn owl -- a fateful encounter that would turn into an astonishing 19-year saga. With nerve damage in one wing, the owlet's ability to fly was forever compromised, and he had no hope of surviving on his own in the wild. O'Brien, a young assistant in the owl laboratory at Caltech, was immediately smitten, promising to care for the helpless owlet and give him a permanent home. Wesley the Owl is the funny, poignant story of their dramatic two decades together." This is on my list thanks to the Simon & Schuster newsletter.


Spirit of Adventure, by Alvin Townley - I read about this one on the new Boy Scouting Magazine's blog. "His book will help take you away no matter where you are. That’s because Spirit of Adventure is a formula for success. Mix great writing with fascinating individuals, and you’ve got a book that’s a quick and exhilarating read."






The Invisible Wall: A Love Story That Broke Barriers, by Harry Bernstein - Books on the Brain says: "You might not think 92 is the best age to start writing your first book. At 92, you probably can’t expect to write 3 books (let alone one) or have a bestseller. The odds are against you. But for those who say they are too old to try something new, I’ve got two words for you. Harry. Bernstein." Go read the review and tell me this doesn't sound like a wonderful book!



Virgin: The Untouched History, by Hanne Blank - "This book is about much more than cocktail party virginity trivia. It is about something that is ancient and abstract at the same time as it is absolutely contemporary and utterly immediate. Virginity has been, and continues to be, a matter of life and death around the world, very much including within the first world." I read about it at Nymeth's blog. And since I have a book called CELIBACY on my shelf, I figured this would be a good companion read.



Outcasts United: A Refugee Team, An American Town, by Warren St. John - In an excellent review, 5 Minutes for Books says: "The book documents the struggle between the town and the large influx of refugee inhabitants, and tells the story of how the coach ... worked tirelessly to help these boys transition into American culture, by giving them a taste of home on the soccer field, along with moral support of their families, and tutoring to help them stay on track in school."




I Love A Man In Uniform, by Lily Burana - This is not a book I would ever have picked up on my own but Books, Lists, Life! posted an interview with this author that really got my attention. Here's an excerpt: "So what happens with a goth teen turned stripper turned journalist marries a military man? She writes a book about it, that's what. Lily ... meets Mike, a career Army man, in a graveyard(!) and has a whirlwind romance that culminates in September 11th and then a quickie wedding. Mike is soon deployed and Lily is left to deal with being an Army wife and all that entails. However, this one isn't just about how to be a wife when your husband is overseas, but also how to handle his return and your adjustment to living together again. Written with complete honesty and full of humor, Lily doesn't shy away from the hard stuff. If you ever wondered what life would be like living on base, or what PTSD is really like, or just wanted an insider glimpse, this is the book for you. Don't worry, it's not full of red, white and blue bunting and there isn't a yellow ribbon magnet afixed to the cover. You don't have to be an Army wife to enjoy reading it. Lily is a real person, not a stereotype of the perfect military wife (though she does address it.) I would recommend the book to just about anyone with complete confidence."


For more Friday Finds hop on over to Should Be Reading. Happy weekend to all!

5 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I've got my eye on Wicked Plants too.

avisannschild said...

Wicked Plants and Virgin are both on my wish list too!

Lisa said...

Hey! That's me. I hope you like I Love A Man in Uniform if you get it.

Rebecca (Ramblings by Reba) said...

"Wesley the Owl" looks GREAT! I love books like that.

Dreamybee said...

I broke down and ordered a signed copy of Wicked Plants. I haven't read it yet, but I love it-the cover, the illustrations, etc.!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin