Ambassador of Books ~ Book Club Madam ~ Blogger Gal

Friday, July 10, 2009

Friday Finds 07/10/09

Welcome to Friday ... where I'm sitting at my desk at work falling asleep less than an hour after I arrived. Yeah, this is going to be a long day.

Anyway, here are the books that I added to my TBR pile this week:


Alex and Me, by Irene Pepperberg - This seems to be the month of bird books ... last week I wrote about Wesley the Owl and now I've got Alex the parrot. At Home With Books reviewed this memoir about life with this incredible bird and it really sounded interesting. My mom had several parrots over the years and although I can't say I'm a bird-lover, I do appreciate the unique behavior and personalities that birds can display. And this book sounds fascinating!



The Words We Live By: Your Annotated Guide to the Constitution, by Linda R. Monk - RebeccaReads says that this book "takes the Constitution of the United States, including its amendments, and dissects it line by line, explaining the historical significance and the modern significance of the wording. She does so in layman’s terms, with amusing quotes in the margin, case studies in shaded boxes, and photos and illustrations. It is easy to read, and easily accessible." I'd love to have this on my reference shelf to browse through from time to time.

Modern Spice: Indian Inspired Flavors for the Contemporary Kitchen, by Monica Bhide - I didn't think I'd ever add a cookbook to my TBR list (since I really don't like to cook) let alone one about Indian food (since I've never actually eaten it before) but something about this post by S. Krishna's Books got me excited about this particular cookbook. I love that she tried out some of the recipes - it makes me want to get in my kitchen and concoct something tasty!




Just three titles for this week. Hop over to Should Be Reading for more Friday Finds*, and let me know in the comments if any of these books look good to you.

13 comments:

Lezlie said...

I thought the Constitution book looked really cool, too!

Lezlie

bermudaonion said...

I love a good cook book and Modern Spice looks like one. I want it too after Swapna's review.

Anna van Gelderen said...

I have Alex and Me on the TBR pile. I saw Alex and Irene on tv in a science programme a couple of years ago and was both impressed and charmed by Alex, so when this book came out I had to have it of course ;-)

avisannschild said...

Alex and Me sounds good to me too!

Jess said...

The cover of Modern Spice looks delicious -- have fun cooking!

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

Lezlie - I'm sure it has lots of fascinating tidbits in it!

bermudaonion and Jess - I'd rather just order the item on the cover and have someone else make it for me, but hey, you do what you gotta do. ~LOL~

Anna & avisannschild - It certainly sounds interesting.

Alyce said...

I am adding that Indian cookbook to my list now too! I tried Indian food for the first time this year and discovered how good it is. :)

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

Alyce - Ok, so I made you add ONE book to your list ... but you made me at 2 or 3!

Alyce said...

I do my best! ;)

Dreamybee said...

I heard an NPR story about Alex a couple years ago, and I thought it was fascinating.

Hang on...searching...here you go. (It's the first story, "'Alex & Me': The Hidden World Of Animal Minds"

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=96897162

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

Dreamybee - I'm listening to it now, thanks!

Dawn @ sheIsTooFondOfBooks said...

The reference/guide to the Constitution would be big at my house. My daughter is already telling me about her "freedom of speech" (which she is not invoking as intended in the Constitution!)

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

Dawn - Oh yeah, that book could be deadly in the hands of a young girl! ~LOL~

Blog Widget by LinkWithin