Ambassador of Books ~ Book Club Madam ~ Blogger Gal

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

The Wind in the Willows

I'm back from vacation and am trying to get caught up on the books I read and listened to before I left and during the trip. Here's my review of the book I listened to on the coast to coast plane ride ...


by Kenneth Grahame
first published in 1908
narrated by Mary Woods
audiobook: 5.25 hours


Part of our California vacation included a trip to Disneyland where you can experience Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, an attraction based on this book. Although I was somewhat familiar with this story I don't think I'd actually read it before, so when Kiddo wanted to know about the ride I knew I'd have to check out the book and get the whole story.

This book tells the story of the critters who live on the edge of the river, including Mole, Badger, Ratty, and the infamous Toad.  Most of their adventures are of the quiet sort - picnics on the river, walks in the woods, visiting neighbors - except when Toad is involved; then things get wild and crazy.

The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad (Disney Gold Classic Collection)After I listened to the story I retold it to Kiddo one afternoon before heading to Disneyland.  He really enjoyed it and it definitely made the ride more fun for him once we got there.  Plus we were able to get the Disney movie version of Mr. Toad's Wild Ride and watch that while we in our hotel, so that was an added bonus!

As for me, I can't say that I particularly enjoyed this book though I am glad that I listened to it.  It was alright, some parts were entertaining, but on the whole I didn't particularly enjoy it.  It seems like sacrilege to say that since this book is a classic of childrens literature, but I really don't get the appeal.  What am I missing here?

7 comments:

Alyce said...

I'm not a big fan of the book either, but I love the ride. When we went to Disneyland we road it twice with the boys.

bermudaonion said...

I didn't love this one either and I don't think my son did when he was younger, so you're not alone.

Ryan said...

I haven't read this one in a long time so I don't remember if I liked it or not. I don't think Aidan has ever read it either.

I will say I love the Disney movie, but not as much as the movie paired with it. The Legend of Sleepy Hollow has to be my favorite Disney movie.

Beth F said...

You all break my heart. I loved, loved, loved Wind in the Willows. I've reread it many times. Sob.

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

Alyce - Glad I'm not alone! And the ride is fun, isn't it?! A bit silly, like everything in Fantasyland, but still fun. :)

bermudaonion - Thanks for that! I did feel like a bit of a failure for not loving it ...

Ryan - We love Sleepy Hollow too! Kiddo had never seen it before and he really enjoyed it as well.

Beth F - See, I KNEW there were people out there who loved this book. I'm so sad that it wasn't such a hit with me. :(

Rebecca Reid said...

I don't get the appeal. I really disliked reading it too. I didn't like how "adult" the characters were and didn't think any of them were good role models for kids.

Maya Panika said...

I'm sad you - and so many of your readers - didn't enjoy Wind in the Willows, it's one of my favourite books. It has a wonderfully lyrical quality and it is so quintessentially English; I don't think Kenneth Grahame's descriptions the descriptions of the English countryside have ever been bettered. If I were only allowed to have one book it would be this one.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin