Ambassador of Books ~ Book Club Madam ~ Blogger Gal

Thursday, November 6, 2008

Books & Movies: Nim's Island

Kiddo and I watched Nim's Island on Monday evening and we both loved it.

From a little boy's point of view, it has ...
  • an adventurous life on an island
  • a volcano
  • a kid who has animals for friends
  • enough danger to be exciting but not enough to be scary
  • catapulting lizards
  • a lady who talks to an imaginary character that no one else can see
  • a guy who is sort of like Indiana Jones
  • and a farting sea lion!
From a mom's point of view, it has ...
  • a fun plot for both mom and kiddo
  • absolutely NO objectionable content (woohoo!)
  • an agorophobic writer who talks with the character she created in her books
  • and a guy who is sort of like Indiana Jones!
This is a movie I would watch again and again. Kiddo gave it an 8, and I'd have to agree with that. Here's a clip, in case you haven't seen it yet ...



Have you seen it? What did you think? Have you read the book? Is it a book kiddo and I should read together, or it is not worth our time?

8 comments:

Carol said...

I shall have to check that one out. Always happy to accept a good recommendation especially if it'll entertain both the kids and I!

Suey said...

I watched this with my kids awhile back and loved it too! I had no idea what to expect from it, so was pleasantly surprised. I haven't read the book, but I bet it's just as fun.

Ti said...

I think I may just get this movie for myself. My kids don't seem to have any interest in it.

Hey, I have a technical question for you. How do you embed a You Tube video in Blogspot? I cannot figure it out. If it is too complex then don't worry about it. I just keep thinking I am missing something that is right there in front of me.

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

Ti - You're right, it IS really easy. Go to a YouTube video. Look to the right - you'll see a gray box. In the box are two fields: URL and Embed. Copy the text from the Embed box and paste it into your blog. That's it!

One other important thing. The video won't appear in the area where you write your post but it IS there. If you want to be sure, you can click on the PREVIEW option.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Susan Moorhead said...

Oh dear, what a terrible children's librarian I am as I have not read the book but only seen the movie! My nine year old boy enjoyed the flying lizards as well :)

Anna said...

Haven't seen it yet, but I'm thinking my daughter will love it.

--Anna
Diary of an Eccentric

Kathleen said...

I've not seen the movie but have read the book. My review is here but it doesn't say much. I'm not sure how old your child is but I do think this book would make a good read, especially after he's seen the movie. It's short so it shouldn't take so long.

Anonymous said...

me, my mom and dad watched it together not long ago. We made popcorn and I picked it because I'm a little big kid hehe.
I LOVED it. And so did my parents.
And none of us are kids. Well, I sort of count.
It was so awesome! And Jodie Foster's character was just so funny :)
Anyhow, I recommend it to anyone, little kids or big kids at heart.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin