Ambassador of Books ~ Book Club Madam ~ Blogger Gal

Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Books & Movies: The Secret Life of Bees

Every once in a while a movie comes along that really captures the essence of the book it's based on, and THIS is one of those times!

My book club read The Secret Life of Bees back in our first year (you can read my recap here). I remember really enjoying this book, so I was definitely looking forward to the movie. We planned to see it as a club but that didn't end up working out. Instead it was just me and one book club gal. Oh but we did have fun! Here's a clip to whet your appetite ...



I laughed, I cried, I LOVED it!!!

There was quite a vocal audience at that showing I went to, let me tell you. There's a scene when teenager Lilly licks some honey off her friend Zack's finger and boy, did the ladies in the theater whoop and holler for that!

I do have to say that knowing the horrible things that have happened recently in actress Jennifer Hudson's family did make this movie painful to watch at times. It had little to do with the movie itself; my heart just broke every time Jennifer came on screen, and I couldn't stop thinking about the losses she's suffered.

So, how about it? Have you seen this movie yet? What did you think? If not, are you planning to? Have you read the book? I'm looking forward to your answers!


PS. Don't forget that I'm giving away a copy of this book (as well as lots of other books) as part of my Birthday Book Bash Giveaway. You have until 11/14 to enter.

PPS. Here's where I first wrote about this movie way back in June.

11 comments:

Ti said...

I want to see it too. My book club meets tomorrow so I'm sure it will be mentioned. We like to do outings once in awhile.

Anonymous said...

I saw the movie and loved it!

Amy said...

I'm always afraid to see the movie version of books that I liked...so often the images they pick are nowhere near as good as the ones I conjured up, and then it skews what I remember the book as.

Anonymous said...

I forgot that this movie was in theaters already. I'm glad you loved it, I'll have to talk my husband into seeing it!

Anonymous said...

I've got a date with my mom to see it this Friday!

Bybee said...

I hope it'll play over here. It's not my favorite book, but I think it would make a good movie. And I'll be there, munching popcorn and squid!

Suey said...

It looks wonderful and I look forward to seeing it! (It might be a "wait for the DVD" one though!) I loved the book when I read it years ago. We've got it on the schedule for the f2f group this year after we realized so many hadn't read it yet.

Suey said...

It looks wonderful and I look forward to seeing it! (It might be a "wait for the DVD" one though!) I loved the book when I read it years ago. We've got it on the schedule for the f2f group this year after we realized so many hadn't read it yet.

Anna said...

Haven't seen the movie yet, but I've heard it's great. I loved the book.

--Anna
Diary of an Eccentric

Jen said...

I haven't seen the movie but I think that they got the casting right. It looks really good and I can't wait to watch it when it comes out on dvd.

Literary Feline said...

I really liked the movie too. It's been years since I read the book and so I couldn't do a point by point comparison--which is probably for the best--but I did think it caught much of the essence I remember loving about the book.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin