Ambassador of Books ~ Book Club Madam ~ Blogger Gal

Friday, January 16, 2009

Friday Finds 01/16/09



Here are the titles I added to my TBR list this week ...

  1. Land of Marvels: A Novel, by Barry Unsworth - according to BookBrowse it is "a thriller set in 1914, Barry Unsworth brings to life the schemes and double-dealings of Western nations grappling for a foothold in Mesopotamia (now Iraq) in the dying days of the Ottoman Empire. " - there are archeologists, spies, and lots of drama in a political hotspot ... sounds sort of like Indiana Jones, no?

  2. Affinity, by Sarah Waters - the story of two very different women in 1870s London, both struggling against their own kind of imprisonment - Alessandra's review really got my attention

I haven't added anything to Kiddo's list for a while but I do have one for this month ...


  1. Night of the Howling Dogs, by Graham Salisbury - this is based on a real-life earthquake and tsunami that a scout troop survived in 1975 Hawaii - Ali read this with her boys and I enjoyed hearing their thoughts - I think kiddo would really get into this story

Do any of these titles appeal to you? Have you read any of them?

For more Friday Finds, visit MizB.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oooh, I'm hoping to get Land of Marvels.

Beth F said...

Land of Marvels does look good!

Michelle Fluttering Butterflies said...

I finished reading Affinity this week and it was really good!

Alyce said...

Night of the Howling Dogs looks like it would be good to read with my boys when they are a little older.

Robin M said...

Night of the Howling dogs looks good - for me. My son wouldn't be ready for it. :)

Robin

Sherrie said...

Hi!
The book Affinity by Sarah Waters sounds really great. Thanks for the hint. Have a great day!!

Sherrie

Kim said...

Land of Marvels sounds very intriguing! Thanks for sharing.
*smiles*
Kim

Alessandra said...

I'm glad that you liked my review!

avisannschild said...

Affinity sounds great! I must get around to reading Night Watch soon to see if I like her writing style.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin