- Silver, My Own Tale As Told By Me With A Goodly Amount Of Murder, by Edward Chupack - I heard about this one from Book Movement's newsletter - it tells the "true" story of Long John Silver, the pirate from Treaure Island - sounds like fun!
- Losing Control and Liking It, by Tim Sanford - MizB says "This is, by far, the best “parenting” book I’ve ever read. Highly recommended." 'Nuff said.
- Havah: The Story of Eve, by Tosca Lee - the fictional account of Eve (as in Adam and Eve) and My Friend Amy really liked it
- The Last Unicorn, by Peter Beagle - Chris at Stuff As Dreams Are Made On reviewed Beagle's new book and mentioned that he also wrote The Last Unicorn - it was one of my very favorite movies and I never knew it was a book first! I must read this. In case you've never seen it, here's a clip from the movie:
That song STILL gives me chills, even now. I'll have to watch that again, this time with kiddo. I showed him this clip the other night, plus the one with the singing butterfly and one with the red bull, and he TOTALLY wants to see it now.
- The Last of the Mohicans, by James Fenimore Cooper - watching this movie while I was sick last week reminded me that I've never read the book - I remember hearing that it is quite different from the movie
- Tevye the Dairyman, by Sholem Aleichem - this is the book that Fiddler of the Roof is based on - I learned about it while reading Outwitting History (reviewed here) and now I simply MUST read it - you can read more about it at the National Yiddish Book Center's website
- any of the books by Charles Eastman - another movie I watched while sick was Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee - it is the true story of Ohiyesah Charles Eastman, a Sioux Indian, born in 1858 - after living through the infamous battle with General Custer he was sent to live with the white people and was raised away from his culture - his life is a fascinating and sad mix of two cultures - he wrote many books and I'd love to explore some of them
- The Cruelest Miles: The Heroic Story of Dogs and Men in a Race Against an Epidemic, by Gay Salisbury - on my last Friday Finds, Dreamybee was kind enough to suggest some books she thought I'd like (thank you Dreamybee!) - I'm definitely interseted in this one - I've heard the story before but I'd love to read about this amazing ture adventure story
- Strand: An Oddesey of Pacific Ocean Debris, by Bonnie Henderson - reviewed at 5 Minutes for Books, this is a collection of essays about the items found on a beach in Oregon and a look at the various happenings that brought them there - a bit of scientific discover, some looks at different countries, and a study of the oceans all come together in these essays - this is the type of book that I find utterly fascinating
Friday, January 9, 2009
Friday Finds 1/9/09
Welcome to this week's Friday Finds, hosted as always by the lovely MizB. This week I bring you a very electic list ... this crazy mix should really tell you something about me!