Ambassador of Books ~ Book Club Madam ~ Blogger Gal

Thursday, January 1, 2009

Goals For The Coming Year - Age 31

In lieu of New Years Resolutions I've decided to set some reading goals and limitations for myself for the coming year.

  1. I hope to read/listen to 100 books this year. If you recall, on this blog the year goes from Nov. 4 of the current year to Nov. 3 of the following year (from one birthday to the next). Last year (age 30) I read/listened to 81 books, so I think my new goal is reasonable. I'm already up to 18 books since my birthday so I'm off to a good start.

  2. I don't plan to sign up for too many challenges in 2009. Before signing up for a challenge I will carefully consider if it will actually help me read what I want to read already and also if it will not cause me lots of stress to complete it. If either of those are not true, I won't be signing up. I'm also going to create a page to keep track of all my challenges through the year. Hopefully that will be up within the next week.

  3. I will not accept as many books for review as I have this past year. Although I loved many of the books I've received from authors and publishers, accepting books for review severely limits my reading flexibility. I feel guilty if I don't read those books in a timely manner, and I end up putting off books that I really want to read. So I will be more careful about which books I accept this year.
  4. In conjunction with #3, I will have more guest posts on my blog. Several friends have offered to read & review books that I've received from publishers but simply haven't had time to read myself. It will be fun for me (and hopefully for you) to hear what they say.
  5. I will endeavor to do at least one Mom & Son Book Club post each month. Kiddo and I have been slacking in our reading together lately and I want to make it a real priority for us.

I think that's all for now. Wish me luck in 2009!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck!

And I'm with you on #2 and #3.

Anonymous said...

Good luck with your goals. Happy New Year!

Alyce said...

I have similar goals for the new year (especially concerning ARCs). Happy New Year!

Lezlie said...

I'm cutting way back in ARCs this year, too. Good luck with all your goals!!

Lezlie

Literary Feline said...

You've set yourself a great list of goals, Heather.

My intent when joining challenges this year was to be careful too. I think I managed that for the most part, although I did let my excitement get the better of me in two cases. For the most part though, I have a long list of books I need to read and mostly chose challenges that would compliment those lists.

I hope you have a wonderful year, Heather!

Nan said...

Sounds very, very good and wise, Heather. I've given up all challenges, period. And I'd never want to 'have' to read a book to review it. I guess I didn't realize you did so many. I most look forward to the mom and son bookclub.

Ti said...

I'm with ya on #3. I want to read more of what I want to read without the obligation of a scheduled review.

Anonymous said...

We have so much in common! I'm a November 3rd baby... go Scorpio girl!

I'd hope that you'd want to take a look at my Just for the Love of It Challenge.... I made it because I took on way too much and I want to challenge myself to have fun with my blog! It would be super awesome if you joined up with me and some of my blogger friends.

Happy New Year!

P.S. On Thursday's thoughts this week, the contest is New Years Resolutions. Since you've already done it here, you may want to post a comment with the link to this article for the give-a-way.

Amy said...

Excellent goals, and I love that you're not just shooting to do MORE, but going for quality by giving yourself some limitations. Very wise.

Yasmin said...

Greetings Heather and Happy New Year. Here wishing you many blessings with achieving your goals in 2009.

Yasmin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dreamybee said...

Wow, 81 books! I always thought I read a lot until I started reading book blogger blogs! I think your goals sound very well thought out. Good luck!

Sarah said...

Good luck with your goals! One day I hope to read 100 books in a year... but I'm going to hold off on making that resolution for the time being. I really like how you define your "year" from one birthday to the next - its a different way to look at time but makes total sense! I've enjoyed reading this year, and look forward to the many good reviews the new year brings!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin