Ambassador of Books ~ Book Club Madam ~ Blogger Gal

Wednesday, January 7, 2009

My Month of Joyful Reading

In general, I read because I love information. I can't get enough of learning about new things. Most of the time that brings me enough pleasure to keep me in love with reading. Once in a while I like to read just for the sheer pleasure of it (like with the Twilight books - oh, the memories!). However I know that if I don't "let myself off the hook" and allow myself to read JUST for fun then I'll put it off over and over again.

So ... fun ...

Sherlock Holmes is fun to read to be sure. But what's even MORE fun is the Holmes and Mary Russell combination created by author Laurie R. King. I read the first book in the series, The Beekeeper's Apprentice, last year and was very pleasantly surprised by it (here's my review if you want to check it out).

To bring a bit of unabashed FUN into my reading life I'm going to devote one some time to reading nothing but the Mary Russell books. I was inspired to do this by the Baker Street Challenge.* My plan is to get all the remaining 7 books from and devote myself to them for one joyful month. I don't read books in a series all that often so I'll really enjoy being able to continue the story from book to book. It will be so much fun! I'm calling it My Month of Joyful Reading because it will be a pure joy to read a string of books simply for the pleasure of it.

Hey, do any of you want to join me in my Month of Joyful Reading? If you like old-fashioned mysteries then I guarantee you'll love Mary Russell. She's got a bit of the old and a bit of new worlds in her ... and she's got spunk! You could read along with me, or pick another series that you love and try to read it all the way through in one month. Doesn't that sound like a great month of reading?! I'm doing this in March, so you have a bit of time to think about it. Please let me know if you might be interested!

* You can read all the details of The Baker Street Challenge (held in honor of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's 150th birthday this year) by clicking here. I'm signing up at the "Seven Percent Solution" level. Anyone else signing up for this challenge?

5 comments:

Amanda said...

O my gosh. I love Arthur Conan Doyle and Holmes and Watson. How have I not hear of this series before?!?! Ok...more to add to my TBR :)

Teresa said...

This is one of my all-time favorite mystery series. Book 9 is coming out the April, and I can't wait!

Dreamybee said...

I don't know if you're into board games or not, but there is a 221 B Baker Street board game that I had as a kid, and I really liked it. It's pretty involved from what I remember-maybe a little too old for kiddo right now, but I bet you would still have fun playing it!

Anonymous said...

I have joined this challenge too, partly becuase I haven't read a single Sherlock Holmes book till now. Which books do you suggest I start with?

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

Amanda - You will LOVE these! I can't wait to hear what you think.

Theresa - I only just found out about the upcoming book. I had no idea about it when I decided to read these for the challenge.

Dreamybee - I'll have to keep an eye out for that one - it sounds like fun!

violetcrush - I'd suggest starting with one of the collections. They include lots of short stories and are easy to read. Once you get a feel for Holmes then I'd suggest The Hound of the Baskervilles. I've read it several times and I love it. The movie version is pretty good too! But definitely read it first. :)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin