- A few weeks ago Booking Through Thursday had a post about music. While browsing some of the songs people linked to on YouTube, I was reminded of one of my very favorite musicals, Aida. Here's a link to the song I love the most from that show. It's called Elaborate Lives and it is a love song between an lordly Egyptian and a slave woman (who used to be a princess of Nubia). The song always gives me chills ... and it doesn't hurt that the guy is really sexy!
- How would you like to live on a tropical island for 6 months, during which your only job is to explore the island and scuba dive, then blog about it? This is a legitimate job! The story is here and details are here. You have until Feb. 22 to apply ... what are you waiting for?!
- Speaking of tropical islands, an island would likely be a safe place to be living if your hometown were nuked. Check out this interactive map where you can nuke the city of your choice and determine how far-reaching the effects will be. What fun! (Is it creepy that it was actually fun?! I think it is.)
- I LOVE the Dune books so this look at the making of the audiobooks was quite interesting.
- "Preproduction on The Hobbit is underway." Did you hear that?! Another addition to the Lord of the Rings movie series - yeah! I read The Hobbit when I was in the first grade and I have loved it ever since. I can't wait to see the movie. Kiddo and I just watched the old animated version recently.
- Speaking of Tolkien, over at Tor.com they are doing a re-read of all The Lord of the Rings books in order. Each chapter is thoroughly recapped and analyzed and commenters are chiming in with their thoughts. If you're a fan, you'll love it. And if you've never read it, this would be *sort of* like having someone read and explain it to you - what could be simpler?!
- And finally, speaking of Tor.com and re-reads, they are ALSO doing the re-read/analyze thing with Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time series, in preparation for the release of book 12 in Nov. '09. You know from my left sidebar how addicted I am to these books! This re-read is going at a much faster pace that the Tolkien one though (there are many more books to get through). The conversation in the comments is fantastic - I'm loving it!
Tuesday, January 27, 2009
Lovely Links #10
Welcome to this 10th edition of Lovely Links, a post where I link you up to all the interesting things I've come across recently. Here we go!