Ambassador of Books ~ Book Club Madam ~ Blogger Gal

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Jane Eyre

I'm a bit behind on my reviews and feeling somewhat overwhelmed. To keep from going crazy, my next few reviews will be much shorter than usual. I promise to get back to my "regular" reviewing style asap.

Jane Eyre
by Charlotte Bronte
audio book: 18 hours


This is a book that I loved as a teen and always think of fondly. I recently saw a newer version of the movie that reminded me how much I loved this book so I decided to revisit it.

For those unfamiliar with the plot, this is the story of Jane, a plain girl, orphaned at a young age, and left without a friend in the world. Her cruel aunt sends her off to a poorly-run charity school to be rid of her. While there, Jane blossoms into a competent young woman. Eventually she leaves to become a governess to a young girl. Once she is settled in at her new home she meets the master of the house, Mr. Rochester. He is a strange and gruff man, not very attractive himself. And there is something strange going on in the house - creepy noises at night, someone sneaking around. As for the rest of the story, you'll simply have to read to find out.

After listening to this book over the past two weeks I've found that I love it just as much now as I did way back when. However, I must say that seeing the movie has messed with my memories of the original story. As I listened to the audio book I was constantly thinking, "oh, they changed that part in the movie! And that part, and THAT part too!" I'm so glad that I revisited the original story - even though I do love the movie versions, the book simply has so much more depth to it. And I love the fact that at the end of the book, Jane updates the reader on what is going on with all the different characters - that is my favorite kind of ending.


This book counts toward the 1% Well Read Challenge. That's not not why I read it but hey, I'm not complaining!


.


17 comments:

Lezlie said...

I want to get to this one sooner than later. Do you think it was just as effective via audio as reading the book? I could get to it more quickly if I listened to the audiobook.

Lezlie

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

Lezlie - Yes and no. Since this was a reread for me, I listed to it while I was doing other things and I didn't always pay close attention. I know I missed some things. If you can REALLY listen to it, then yes it can be just as effective as reading. But if you'll listen like I did, with only half your mind on it, then don't do it - you'll miss out on too much.

Jenny said...

This is one of those books I "read" in high school but have been wanting to really read straight through. I think I'd enjoy it now.

Chrisbookarama said...

Jane Eyre is my favorite book ever. I'm glad you still like it.

Alyce said...

I love the book way more than any of the movie adaptations!

Lezlie said...

Thanks, Heather! I will keep that in mind.

Lezlie

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

Jenny - Yeah, sometimes high school can really ruin a book for you. Do try this one again sometime!

Chris - Me too. :)

Alyce - They feel almost like two different stories to me, but I do enjoy them both.

Lezlie - you're welcome.

Rebecca Reid said...

I love this book! I'm glad you revisited it. I like the newer movie too, but I still love how Jane talks to us through the book. Sigh. I want to read it again.

Lisa said...

I do find that I have to go back to my fav reads periodically just to clean out the stuff that movie versions have put in my head about them. Love "Jane Eyre!"

momofonefornow said...

I love Jane Eyre! I got your challenge request. I have actually seen several of those movies but you got me on the books. Not a one. I will have to focus on them over one of my breaks this semester.

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

Rebecca - Yes, I love that about the book too.

Lit and Life - That's exactly it! It's like cleaning off your glasses and suddenly seeing better. :)

momofonefornow - Another Jane fan - yeah! I'm so glad you're taking me up on the challenge - those are some of my favorite books ever.

Becca said...

I have not read Jane Eyre and have been kind of scared of it after several people told me they hated it. However you have convinced me to give it a try! If that is not a good review, I don't know what is, Heather! :D

Karen Beth said...

I always enjoy visiting your blog. Jane Eyre is a long time favorite of mine too. It's mysterious in its own special way, and yet I never really think of it as a mystery until I'm in the thick of it and listening to Jane try to explain the creepy laugh in the corridors. It's so good!

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

Rebecca :) - I honestly don't know how anyone could hate this book. I know that people do, but I just don't get it. I do understand why people don't like Wuthering Heights (even though I love it) but what isn't to like about Jane Eyre?! I'm so glad you're going to give it a shot sometime.

Karen Beth - Thanks for commenting! I haven't seen you here before - it's always wonderful to meet new bloggers. :)

Rebecca Reid said...

Heather J., I read Jane Eyre first when I was 13 and while I didn't hate it, I was seriously disturbed that 17 or 18 year old Jane thought of Rochester as a romantic interest: he was 35, an old man!!

Now, though, I laugh at those thoughts....

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

Rebecca Reid - HA! It's funny how we think 30s are old when we're teenagers. :) Personally I think this is one of the most romantic stories ever ... *sigh*

Serena said...

I haven't read this recently. Its been a while...maybe I will reread it sometime soon.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin