The Author: Melanie Rawn
The Books: two fantasy trilogies, The Dragon Prince series and The Dragon Star series, published between 1988 and 1994 - pages range from 480 to 776
What They Are About: I have to be honest and say that I can't remember the plot of these books. I remember a few specific events and themes, but that is about all. Here's what Amazon has to say about the first book: An arranged marriage between Prince Rohan of Stronghold and the "sunrunner" Sioned of Goddess Keep promises to bring a new kind of peace to a strife-torn land until the machinations of a self-serving High Prince plunge the world into war. Romance, intrigue, magic, and myth mingle freely in this first of a series that should appeal to readers of fantasy and epic romance.
Why I Love Them: I remember thinking that these books were different from the other fantasy I was reading. The magic system was unique and interesting and the dragons were different as well. My sister, my dad and I all devoured these books - the paperbacks were falling apart by the time we got through with them.
Other Thoughts: If I recall correctly, my sister and I saw someone reading one of these books on a plane and we talked to him about it. He highly recommended them, so we decided to read them (we were both huge fantasy fans). We both fell in love with these books right away.
Would I Recommend Them?: If you are a fantasy fan who also enjoys a bit of a love story thrown in, this is the book for you. It is different and exciting, and it isn't sappy or lovey-dovey.
Books In The Series: In case you are curious, here is a list of all the books in the two trilogies ...
DRAGON PRINCE SERIES:
- Dragon Prince - Prince Rohan and Sioned, his wife and a Sunrunner witch, fight to save the last of the remaining dragons.
- The Star Scroll - Rohan's son Pol grows to manhood...a foe vanquished ages ago gains strength...the only hope lay in the long lost Star Scroll.
- Sunrunner's Fire - Spell wars set the land ablaze...dragons soar the skies, lured by magic's fiery call.
- (A new cycle begins, generations unfold, and Fate displays a sick sense of humor.)
- Stronghold - A generation of peace is about to be shattered as a seemingly unstoppable invasion force lays siege to High Prince Rohan's realm....
- The Dragon Token - Is it too late for Prince Pol's troops and Lord Andry's Sunrunners to turn the tide of battle?
- Skybowl -the conclusion of the series
My Favorite Reads is hosted by At Home With Books. All are welcome to participate so please join in!