Ambassador of Books ~ Book Club Madam ~ Blogger Gal

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Star Trek (the book) & a weekend getaway

The Getaway ...

This past weekend Hubby planned a romantic getaway for the two of us at an all-inclusive resort in the Pocono Mountains.  You know the kind of place: over-the-top cheesy-romantic room complete with champagne glass hot tub and heart-shaped plunge pool and mirrors everwhere? Yup, that's where we went, and it was wonderful. :)

It was a four hour drive from our house to the resort and since neither of our cars are in the best of shape, we decided to rent a nicer car for the trip.  Then we got lucky and were upgraded to a Mustang convertible for only a small additional charge - woohoo! The drive up was gorgeous: cool weather, bright sun, top down, heat on - FABulous.  It rained on the way back, but that's was fine since I'd actually gotten a bit sunburned on the way there ...

Of course, 4 hours up and 4 hours back equals 8 hours of audiobook time, right?!  The problem is that 1) Hubby and I like completely different books, and 2) we didn't think about this until 2 days before the trip.  So I scoured the local libraries in search of anything readily available that we would both enjoy that was about 8 hours long.  I came up with exactly ONE book ...


And now, an ultra short review of ...

by Alan Dean Foster
audiobook: 8 hours
narrated by Zachary Quinto


This book is a novelization of the movie script.  If you've seen the movie, then you know exactly what to expect from this book.  It has all the cheesy things that bothered me about the movie (in retrospect only, 'cause I really enjoyed it in the theater!) plus all the great parts that I loved. It gave a bit of insight into the characters' emotions that you simply couldn't get on film. AND AND AND! There was even a tiny bit added on to the end that I found hilarious and that definitely was not in the movie. 

It was narrated by the gorgeous and lovely-voiced Zachary Quinto, who played Spock in the movie (and who I totally fell in love with).  Quinto did a fantastic job - he definitely has the voice for narration.  He was able to do Chekov's accent brilliantly, and he gave personality to the voices of all the other characters as well.  His version of Scottie's Scottish accent was pretty terrible, but he did so well with everything else that I'll forgive him there.

Hubby and I laughed and smiled all the way up and all the way back, and I even shed a tear or two in the sad parts (sshh!! I didn't just admit that!!!). All in all it was the perfect, no-brainer book for our weekend getaway.

9 comments:

Helen's Book Blog said...

Sounds like a fun getaway; glad to hear you had a great time

Anonymous said...

Heather, I'm so glad you guys got to have a weekend away. I think it's really important for husbands and wives to try to do something like this occasionally. What fun!!

bermudaonion said...

Sounds like a fun weekend - you two deserved a great getaway like that!

Mystica said...

Sounds as if you had a really good time.

Serena said...

Sounds like you had a good time...I know Anna and her man honeymooned in one of those places with the champagne tower bath spa...

Glad you had a good time and got some "reading" in.

Florinda said...

I remember seeing commercials for those couples' resorts in the Poconos when I lived in the New York area. Glad you enjoyed your weekend away!

I haven't read (or listened to) the Star Trek novelization, but that opening scene of the movie still chokes me up every time. I can imagine that Zachary Quinto would be an excellent narrator.

Suey said...

Ah, I love Zachary Quinto too! :)

Anonymous said...

I can't say that your audiobook interests me, but the getaway sounds great!

Anna said...

Sounds like you had a great time. My husband and I went to the Pocono Palace resort for our honeymoon. We loved it.

--Anna
Diary of an Eccentric

Blog Widget by LinkWithin