Ambassador of Books ~ Book Club Madam ~ Blogger Gal

Monday, April 26, 2010

Old Man's War

by John Scalzi
320 pages


*** About the Book ***

In a not too distant future, Earth is only one of many inhabited planets in the universe, medical science has advanced the expected life span to approximately 90 years, and the planet is becoming overcrowded. The mysterious Colonial Defense Force is always recruiting for off-planet military service but you may only enlist on your 75th birthday. John Perry, like most people his age, is convinced that the CDF will somehow make him young again; after all, what possible use would an army of senior citizens with health problems be?

On his 75th birthday, John enlists in the CDF … and begins an entirely new life, far different than anything he ever imagined.


*** Why I Read It ***

When I mentioned in an email that I hadn't read this book, Dot from Tor.com thought I'd really enjoy it so she sent me a copy.  I've had it on the shelf for a few months but I'm reading it now so it will count for the 2010 TBR Challenge and the Mind Voyages Challenge.


*** My Thoughts ***

I’ve been hearing good things about this book for a long time and I’m happy to say I really enjoyed it. It wasn’t what I was expecting but it was highly entertaining. The story is fast-paced and kept me wanting to turn the next page, and the next, and the next.

The best way to describe this book is that it is a mix of Starship Troopers, Avatar, and maybe Full Metal Jacket. Does that give you a clue as to what to expect?

This is the first book in a series. I don’t plan to continue on to the next book at this point, but I’m not adverse to picking it up down the road.


*** Your Thoughts ***

Are you a Scalzi fan? Have you read other books in the series? If you haven’t read OLD MAN’S WAR, do you think you might give it a shot?

8 comments:

Florinda said...

I haven't read this one, but I have Zoe's Tale, a companion book, somewhere in TBR Purgatory. John Scalzi's blog Whatever is a must-read author blog, though.

NickFrost said...

A friend recommended the book and I read it basically not able to put it down after I read a few pages. Soon after I read the complete series and also "Agent from the stars" from the same author.
I am a big fan of Scalzi!

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

Florinda - I've heard great things about Scalzi as a blogger but haven't yet checked out his blog. I'm actually afraid that I'll really like it - and I DO.NOT.NEED any more blogs in my Google Reader. ~LOL~

NickFrost - Thanks for stopping by and sharing your opinion! I've been hearing raves about Scalzi for a long time - now I know why.

Jen - devourer of books said...

I'm with Florinda, you have to bite the bullet and check out Whatever. I've read three of the four(?) books in this series, and I think that this and "Zoe's Tale" are the best. Even if you don't read the rest of them, do read "Zoe's Tale." Technically it is at the end of the series, but I read it first and it is fine as a standalone.

Alyce said...

This sounds so good! I love science fiction, but I've never read anything by Scalzi. I'll be adding this one to my wish list and making note of the author.

Meghan said...

John Scalzi's books are great! I have read this whole series and I'm probably going to acquire the rest of his books sometime in the near future. I agree with the commenters above, too - his blog is great reading.

Robin M said...

I almost picked this one up yesterday at Borders, but was trying to limit my purchases to 4. Will get it another time. Glad to hear you liked it. I've been following Scalzi's blog for a while now. He's had some interesting things to say. You ought to check it out. :)

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

Jen & Meghan & Robin - Ok, ok, I'll go check out his blog, I promise! :)

Alyce - Ha! I got you again - yet another TBR book you can blame on me!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin