Ambassador of Books ~ Book Club Madam ~ Blogger Gal

Thursday, April 8, 2010

What I'm Reading Now and What's Next

I'm in the middle of a few books just now so I figured I'd give you an update ...

What I’m Reading Now:
  • Venetia Kelly’s Traveling Show – really enjoying this so far
  • Teacher Man (audio) – I forgot how hilarious Frank McCourt can be!
  • Three Cups of Tea (audio) – for book club
  • The Battle of the Labyrinth – reading with Kiddo
Books I (unrealistically) hope to read this month:
  • Between Friends – review copy
  • Old Man’s War – review copy
  • Time Bandit – my book, for TBR Challenge (it’s about one of the boats from the Discovery Channel show “Deadliest Catch” – new season starts in 2 weeks)
  • Stranger in a Strange Land – for LOST and Mind Voyage Challenge
  • Invention of Morel – for LOST and Mind Voyage Challenge
  • Folly – audio book currently checked out from library
  • Plus a book from my list for the Vietnam Challenge

Do you have any recommendations on which ones I should pick up next? I’m thinking of going with TIME BANDIT – it’s really short and I’d likely finish it right around the season premeire of the show. Which book would YOU pick up if you were me?

The most I’ve read/listened to in a single month recently is 11 books – let’s see if I can duplicate that this month!

10 comments:

Nicole (Linus's Blanket) said...

I haven't read any f these, and I haven't heard of most of them - which is a good thing. It means I'll be hearing about more new boks soon. I do have Venetia Kelly. I want to start in on that one soon. Still reading Black Hills.

Rebecca Reid said...

I just requested Morel from the library. I'm very intimidated because I read it was Borges inspiration. And I can't handle Borges....

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

Nicole - Wow, I thought I was the one who took the longest with BLACK HILLS! ~LOL~ And isn't it fun when bloggers review books you've never heard of? I sometimes get bored seeing the same titles over and over again ...

Rebecca - Uh oh, now I'm intimidated. I've got Morel on request through inter-library loan but have no idea if/when it will come in.

Rebecca Reid said...

Mine is coming from ILL too. Probably will take a week or so to come in.

It seemed like an odd book to be on a LOST list to me! At least it's only about 80 pages long, so we can be intimidated for a very short amount of time.

Rebecca Reid said...

PS I've never seen lost so I guess that sounds totally unfair. What I meant was, it's very odd sounding so it doesn't remind me of a television show. Like I said, I don't know anything about LOST!

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

Rebecca - No offense taken! LOST has a huge list of books that have been referenced in the show (everything from meaningful props, to books the characters were reading, to books the show was based on). The LOST Books Challenge has been one of my favorites because the variety of books is so wide and it is a lot of fun trying to get clues to the show from the books. :)

Amy said...

I loved Morel! And when you read it it makes TOTAL sense why it was referenced on LOST ;)
By the way Morel is also a NYRB book so you could perhaps sign up for the spotlight small press tour and post your review then? ;)

Kailana said...

I like making lists. I just suck at actually following them! lol

Jenny Girl said...

I would also go with Time Bandit because of the show. Kudos for you for kicking out those LOST books. You are inspiring :)

Booksnyc said...

I read Venetia Kelly's Traveling Show - glad to hear you like it so far.

On your TBR list, I think Between Friends sounds very interesting!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin