Ambassador of Books ~ Book Club Madam ~ Blogger Gal

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Time Bandit

by Andy and Johnathan Hillstrand, 
and Malcolm MacPherson
240 pages


*** About the Book ***

If you have ever seen the tv show Deadlist Catch on Discovery Channel then you will know exactly what this book is about.  If not, you're really missing out!  The show follows several boats in the Alaskan crab fishing fleet as they work in some of the most hostile conditions on the planet.  This book is written by the brothers who co-captain the Fishing Vessel Time Bandit, one of the boats featured in the show, and gives a glimpse into what their lives are like both on the boat and off of it.

You can get a taste of the show in these short videos on Discovery's YouTube channel but we aware that there are spoilers for this season in the comment on the videos.


*** Why I Read It ***

Hubby and I have been watching Deadliest Catch from it's first season several years ago.  Kiddo sometimes watches it as well.  When Dreamybee reviewed this book back March '09 I immediately requested it from Paperbackswap.com. When it came in Hubby (generally a non-reader) picked it up and read it in just a few days.  He really enjoyed it.  It has been sitting on my shelf for a very long time now, and I committed to read it this year for the TBR 2010 Challenge.


*** My Thoughts ***

A literary masterpiece this book is not, but it doesn't pretend to be one either.  It is a rough and tumble look at life as a crab boat captain in Alaska, and a darn good read.  If you've seen the show then you know exactly what to expect from the book.

I must say that I think I read this book at exactly the right time.  The current season of Deadliest Catch just began (and yes, I did plan my reading to coincide with it) and things are very different this year.  Fans of the show will remember that Russell Newberry got fired from Time Bandit last season.  He plays a huge role in the book, and it was really strange to realize that he is no longer part of the crew.  And the situation that played out in the season premier between Johnathan and Keith, captain of the Wizard, makes a bit more sense to me having read the book.

Speaking of the show, I'm looking forward to the rest of the season but it will be bittersweet.  From following news about the show in the off season I know what is coming this year and things will definitely never be the same.  (I don't want to say more in case there are fans out there who don't know what I'm talking about.)

In a nutshell, if you like the show then you will like the book.


*** Your Thoughts ***

Are you a fan of Deadliest Catch?  Which boat/captain is your favorite?  I'm partial to Sig and his crew on the Northwestern, but there are things I love about each of the boats and their crews.  Watching Phil Harris' boys Jake and Josh go at each other on the Cornelia Marie, seeing the pranks Johnathan pulls on the Time Bandit, and the danger and drama on all the boats (remember the Wizard's huge accident last season, and the many rescue attempts - successful and unsuccessful - by the Coast Guard?) makes me want to tune in every week and also reminds me of why I could never do what these guys do - nor would I want to even try it!

Also, which cover do you like better?  The one at the top is the one I have, but I really like this other cover better - it gives a clearer picture of what the book is about.  What do you think?

14 comments:

Amy said...

This book looks interesting. I have watched the show a few times with my parents. They fish lobster in Eastern Canada, but the young man who fishes with them in the spring goes to Europe and does this in the North Sea each fall - different sea, same job and same danger. Gives it more of a personal touch!

Jenn's Bookshelves said...

I LOVE this show! I was excited to see it appear in my DVR again. Personally, I too like the second cover. It does give a bit more detail about the subject matter. Favorite boat..hmm..don't think I can narrow it down to just one favorite. I think there is something I like about each one of them.

Rebecca @ The Book Lady's Blog said...

Deadliest Catch is a favorite in my house as well, and I harbor a not-so-secret weird sort-of crush on Captain Sig, but I think the Time Bandit would be the most fun to be on. Bob and I have had this book on the pile since it's hardback release two years ago. We should really get to it soon! Great review, Heather.

bermudaonion said...

I've only seen The Deadliest Catch a few times, but did find it fascinating. I bet the book would be good too.

Photogrl said...

I think I need to get me a copy of this!

We love the Deadliest Catch here...it's one of the few shows that doesn't sit in our DVR very long.

I'd have to agree with you, Sig and the Northwestern is my favorite boat, but I really enjoy all of them!

Gina said...

Now see the "rough and tumble" bit is exactly what I would expect from this type of book...I mean that's how they are on the show, anything more would have been well, not them (you know what I mean?). I've seen several episodes of Deadliest Catch...while I can't say that I am a huge fan (I'm not usually home to watch it), I certainly don't shy away from it when it is on. The guys on that show make what could be just another fishing story, something more. Thanks for sharing...and happy reading!

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

Amy - Definitely! I love it when I have a personal connection like that to a book or a show.

Jenn - I know, I had a hard time picking a favorite and it will probably change again next week. :)

Rebecca - Yeah, I can understand that ... there's "something" about him that I like as well.

bermudaonion - The book is exactly like the show IMO.

Photogrl - It doesn't last long our on DVR either!

GMR - For me it is one of those shows that I simply have to watch if I come across it on tv. :)

Allie said...

I absolutely LOVE The Deadliest Catch. I own the first 3 seasons on DVD, something that embarrasses my husband. I love Captain Phil, but, you know.....His boys are also wonderful and I like watching them go at it.
Sig is always entertaining. I love their traditions and the general superstitions that all of the captains and crews have.
This is definitely something I need to get a copy of!!

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

Allie - I can understand wanting this show on DVD - I can watch it whenever it comes on tv. :) I'm just so sad about the coming season, with all the things I know are coming ...

Bybee said...

I used to get this show and the Discovery channel. Enjoyed both. But they took the channel away and replaced it with a fashion channel. Sob! Now we have 3 of those. Sigh.
I think I'd really like this book.

Dreamybee said...

Yay, I'm so glad you finally read this! If I had to pick favorites, I think it'd be a toss-up between the HIllstrand brothers and Capt. Phil...although I do like Sig too. LOL. I don't particularly care for Keith all that much.

I was shocked to see Russell go too, after having read the book. This will definitely be an interesting season, and a hard one too. :(

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

Bybee - Now THAT is depressing ...

Dreamybee - I'm so glad I heard about this book from you! And I couldn't agree more about this season. :(

Linda said...

I have not read this book despite the fact that I bought it a few weeks ago on Amazon. I will try and find time to read it this weekend.

Nice review BTW :)

Helen Neely

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

Helen - It is really short so you should have no trouble getting through it. And thanks for stopping by my blog!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin