Ambassador of Books ~ Book Club Madam ~ Blogger Gal

Thursday, December 9, 2010

War Through the Generations: Vietnam - Recap

I was excited to take part in this year's War Through the Generations Challenge because it focused on the Vietnam War, and my dad fought in that one.  I had hoped to use my reading to open a discussion with my dad about some of his experiences.  Unfortunately my parents spent most of this past year caring for my grandparents (my mom's parents) when their health suddenly declined, and that meant that there wasn't a lot of time for dad and I to talk.  Hopefully we'll still get that chance, but it definitely won't be before the end of the year.

Here's the list of the five books I read for this challenge.  The one I recommend most heartily is #5, Once A Warrior King. I have yet to find anyone else who has read it but I'd certainly love to discuss it with someone!

  1. The Time In Between, by David Bergen - this book didn't really work for me
  2. The Things They Carried, by Tim O'Brien - the concept of truth and the way that is conveyed through stories is a major theme
  3. We Were Soldiers Once ... And Young, by Col. Harold Moore and Joseph Galloway - first-hand account of a defining battle - I also watched the movie and compared it to the book 
  4. We Are Soldiers Still, by Col. Harold Moore and Joseph Galloway - got a bit preachy near the end but still a fascinating conclusion to their previous book
  5. Once A Warrior King: Memories of an Officer in Vietnam, by David Donovan - excellent book that also had a strong personal impact for me
If you participated in this challenge let me know which book from your own list that you'd recommend most highly.

12 comments:

Anna said...

Congrats on completing the challenge! Glad you were able to join us.

Care said...

Congrats on finishing a challenge and happy for you that it meant to much to you. I hope you and Dad have some great talks about it - love that books can spark deep conversations. I myself am looking forward to reading that famous O'Brien book. I didn't participate but enjoyed my most recent VietNam book: Tom Bissell's The Father of All Things.

Alyce said...

I didn't join this challenge this year because I had too much on my plate already, but did read one novel about the Vietnam war (The Lotus Eaters - which I loved).

Congrats on finishing the challenge!

Shelley said...

I'm still trying to finish this challenge! I loved The Things They Carried, and I've just started listening to Matterhorn. I'll have to look for Once a Warrior King.

Sheila (Bookjourney) said...

My dad was also in Vietnam, unfortunately he died before I ever had a chance to discuss any of it with him. I have The Things They Carried on my book shelf.... I think you have given me the proper motivation to read this one.

Thanks for doing a guest post while I was gone!

Beth F said...

Congrats on finishing. I haven't had much desire to read Vietnam books -- maybe because I remember seeing it on the news every night or because I knew people who died there or fought there or did what they could to not have to fight there ...

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

Anna - Thanks to you and Serena for hosting again this year!

Care - I haven't read that one but I'll have to check it out.

Alyce - I've heard good things about The Lotus Eaters - I might read that one myself.

Shelley - You've still got time! I wanted to get to Matterhorn but it will have to wait until next year at this point.

Sheila - I'm sorry that you missed the opportunity to talk to you dad about his experiences. Maybe reading some of these books would help you understand a bit about that part of his life.

Beth F - I've heard that from other bloggers before - it is certainly a good reason to want to avoid these kinds of books.

Serena said...

Thanks for joining the challenge...and for offering up great reviews. I hope you'll be joining us again in 2011.

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

Serena - Thanks for hosting! I'm not sure about next year ... I might be taking that one off. :)

Ann Summerville said...

Thanks for the info. These might be good to choose a book for our book club from.
Ann

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

Cozy in Texas - These books would DEFINITELY give your book club lots to discuss.

Dawn @ sheIsTooFondOfBooks said...

congratulations on finishing this challenge, Heather! Anna and Serena are fantastic hosts for this War Thru the Generations series they've created.

I hope you and your Dad get to have those conversations in the new year.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin