Ambassador of Books ~ Book Club Madam ~ Blogger Gal

Friday, December 3, 2010

Mind Voyages Challenge - Recap


The Mind Voyages challenge isn't actually over until December but I've completed it - yay!  The goal was to read 12 science fiction or fantasy books and I did just that. In my original post for the challenge I mentioned a few titles I wanted to read this year.  From that list of 6 books I only read 2 (?!?!) but there are two more that I plan to get to early in 2011.*


Here's what I read:
  1. The Handmaid's Tale, by Margaret Atwood - (audio) a bleak look into our possible future - interesting but not a favorite
  2. Kindred, by Octavia Butler - (audio) time travel to the pre-Civil War American South - HIGHLY recommended
  3. The Sparrow, by Mary Doria Russell - (a re-read) Jesuits in space - HIGHLY recommended
  4. Genesis, by Bernard Beckett - (audio) short novel about a dystopic future - not a big hit with me
  5. The Invention of Morel, by Adolfo Bioy Casares - novella featuring a machine that (sort-of) recreates life - a strange and fascinating little story
  6. Old Man's War, by John Scalzi - fighting aliens in the future - it felt like a mix of Starship Troopers and Avatar
  7. Stranger in a Strange Land, by Robert A. Heinlein - a human is raised on Mars by native Martians - had a promising start but I didn't end up liking it much
  8. Little Brother, by Cory Doctorow - teens fighting against an oppressive government in the near future - again with the promising start, and yet it didn't work for me in the end
  9. The Invisible Man, by HG Wells - (audio) what if invisibility were truly possible? - excellent classic that more people should read
  10. Children of God, by Mary Doria Russell - (a re-read) Jesuits go back to space - HIGHLY recommended
  11. The Gathering Storm, by Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson - (audio)(a re-read) excellent continuation of Jordan's Wheel of Time series, proving that Sanderson is worthy to carry this literary torch
  12. Towers of Midnight, by Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson - (audio) I haven't reviewed this one yet but I really REALLY enjoyed it and am looking forward to seeing how the series concludes with the next book
Did anyone else participate in this challenge? How did you do?

    * I'm planning a read-a-long of Dune, by Frank Herbert in February and I'd love to have you join me if you are interested. I'm also planning to read Ender's Game, by Orson Scott Card, early in the year but I don't know when yet.

    The "Handmaid's Tale" by Margaret Atwood (York Notes Advanced)KindredThe SparrowOld Man's WarStranger in a Strange LandThe Invention of Morel (New York Review Books Classics)Little BrotherThe Invisible Man (Signet Classics)Children of God (Ballantine Reader's Circle)The Gathering Storm (Wheel of Time, Book 12)Towers of Midnight (Wheel of Time)



      12 comments:

      bermudaonion said...

      That's the perfect challenge for you. Congratulations!

      Unknown said...

      You did so well! Great titles. I have to read Russell's books soon, I think I even have them on my shelves.
      I, on the other hand, suck! i signed up for the challenge, got excited about it and then promptly proceeded to other things and not reading one book for the challenge.

      i hope I'll do better next time (that is if Robin decides to host it again).

      Alyce said...

      I didn't participate in this challenge, but it's one I would consider for next year. I like to read science fiction for fun.

      Robin M said...

      You did great and read some interesting books. I still have a few of the same books that I haven't read yet. I'm trying to figure out what to do with the challenges for next year. I don't have time to keep up with 3 blogs. May meld Mind Voyages into the 52 Books in 52 Weeks challenge which I'm definitely going to continue to host. Perhaps make it a mini challenge within the 52 books challenge, like I did with classics. Congratulations and thanks for joining in.

      Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

      Bermudaonion - I thought so too!

      Lilly - I think Robin got burnt out on this one so I doubt she'll host again next year. It's too bad, because this challenge reminded me how much I love these genres. But you definitely need to read Russell 's books - they will blow your mind.

      Alyce - They are great "escape" type books for me as well, though some can be VERY deep.

      Robin - Thanks for hosting! I'm sorry it got to be too much for you but I like your potential plan for next year - hopefully I can do it again.

      Anonymous said...

      Dune is on my TBR list for 2011, so I'd love to join you. Plus that could be a great opportunity to be more visible to the book blogging community. Emma @ words and peace

      ImageNations said...

      I have heard good things about The Handmaid's Tale (did it win the Booker?) and it is on my Top 100. I loved Oryx and Crake.

      Miri said...

      WOW! Interesting collection-I'll have to check them out. I've always liked science fiction.

      I loved Dune when I read it years and years ago...one of those books that I still think about. I don't know if I want to risk a re-read.

      I listened to Ender's Game last year-I look forward to hear what you think about it. (Its another book that my son recommended!)

      GaryPaulson said...

      I read Kindred this year and have meant to read Little Brother but have it sitting on my shelf. Will have to pull it out and get it read.

      Congrats on finishing the challenge.

      Gary Paulson
      DogberryPages.com

      Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

      emmac6 - I'd love to have you read DUNE with us!

      Nana - Oryx and Crake is on my list as well.

      Miri - I'm almost through with the CDs of ENDERS GAME (I ended up listening to most of it on a last minute road trip) - so far, so good!

      GaryPaulson - KINDRED was really and truly an amazing book - I'm always happy to find someone else who has read it.

      Kailana said...

      I never even heard about this challenge! Great list, though, and congrats on finishing!

      Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

      Kailana - Thanks! I had a lot of fun with it.

      Blog Widget by LinkWithin